AB Kinetix 350/5500 Drive with Non AB Motor

Usireland

Hi Guys

We have a system here where we are using non AB servo drives and servo motors. We love the servo motor because along with its gearbox it gives us the right combination of torque and speed and it has been really really really really reliable (We started using them 10years ago and we have yet to have a client that has needed to change the motor/gearbox).

However the Servo drive is not as desirable, compared to its AB counterpart it is much much larger (almost twice as tall and 50% wider). In this machine space in the Electrical Panel is at a premium so we were considering going with an AB Kinetix 350 or Kinetix 5500 Drive. However this would generally mean for us going to an AB motor and losing our nice motor/gearbox. So the question is can we use the non AB motor and connect it to the AB servo drive.

Has anyone had any experience with doing this? Obviously there will be a few electrical issues (we´ll need to make some sort of adaptor for the encoder cable from the non AB motor so that its Pin outs match the pin outs of the AB servo drive), but I think in theory it should be possible. We are starting to use the Kinetix 5500 but I think in this case the Kinetix 350 would be better suited as it has a "Normal" encoder feedback port compared to the two wire version in the Kinetix 5500 which would require the Special Adaptor module (2198-H2DCK Hiperface-to-DSL).

I´m not sure if anyone will have done this exact implementation but I´ll throw it out there because just incase. The exact motor that we are using is an SEW-Eurodrive S37 DS56L/TF/RH1M/KK and we would be connecting to a Kinetix 350.

If you need any more information please let me know.

Regards
Ian McDonald

Using a Kinetix with a Custom Servo motor is possible - must use a custom motor configuration file. However I have seen people complain about how hard it is to get one to perform correctly.

Have you looked at the power flex 755 series?
I think that this can be configured to connect to the servo motor and when you use it in RSlogix5000 you can configure it as a motion axis.

Using a Kinetix with a Custom Servo motor is possible - must use a custom motor configuration file. However I have seen people complain about how hard it is to get one to perform correctly.

Have you looked at the power flex 755 series?
I think that this can be configured to connect to the servo motor and when you use it in RSlogix5000 you can configure it as a motion axis.

While the powerflex 755 series may work I dont think they would be a big advantage to us. Looking in the installation instructions I think that even the smallest A size frame is larger than the current drive we are trying to replace! The size listed on page 47 of the installation instructions (Here) shows that the A size frame is 110 x 400. Our current servo drive which is too big is 100 x 350. So even if it did work (we´ve never used them) it would be of no advantage to us.

Regards
Ian