Upgrade PV600 (RS-232-DH485) comm. to ML1500 to PV+

nicer

Hello experts,

There's an existing PanelView600 (2711-K6C5 which has only RS-232-DH485 communication port) communicating to a MicroLogix 1500 (it seem to be an LRP processor since the serial communication is connected on the CPU left side) via female-female 9pins ribbon cable (used all 9 wires that I tested just straight-connect).

Now my questions:

1) I read that I can upload PV600 project direct to laptop w/serial port using also straight connect 9pins cable (using just pins 2,3 and 5) and 1747 PIC/AIC+ driver on RSLinx.

Could I just use the 9pin straight ribbon cable (using all 9pins) currently used by the PV comm. to ML1500 (unplug port to ML1500 then plug to laptop serial)?

2) Could I also use this same cable to upload ML1500 program (unplug PV600 port then plug to laptop serial)?

3) The new PanelView Plus 600 is a 2711P-K7C4A8. Could this new one also used that old same ribbon straight cable?

I checked that this PV+ basic RS-232 port could also handle DH485 protocol and I also checked on a manual named "Legacy PanelView to PanelView Plus 6 Catalog Number Conversion" that it seems it's the particularly the correct counterpart of the old PV600, which also particularly emphasize the comm. port (RS-232-DH485).

That's exactly what this is supposed to mean right, namely that the 2 panels have similar communication port, hence no need to modify anything on communication (esp. hardware/cable) right?

I'm worrying because the plant guys said that those previous conversion, the other guys wasn't able to use the same ribbon 9pins straight cable from ML1500 side port to new PV+, instead they had to use the round port of the ML1500 and then used cable with some converters along the way before reaching the PV+. What do you think?

Any inputs would really be appreciated!

PV+ Base RS-232 Port Supports DH485.jpg PV Upgrade Guide.jpg

1) I read that I can upload PV600 project direct to laptop w/serial port using also straight connect 9pins cable (using just pins 2,3 and 5) and 1747 PIC/AIC+ driver on RSLinx.

Yes.If the PV supports DH485 protocol and your PC has a real serial port.

2) Could I also use this same cable to upload ML1500 program (unplug PV600 port then plug to laptop serial)?

No, the PLC to PC required a null-modem cable

3) The new PanelView Plus 600 is a 2711P-K7C4A8. Could this new one also used that old same ribbon straight cable?

I am not a PV+ user. Hopefully those that are will check in.

Last edited:

So I should be able to use the straight ribbon cable (using all 9 pins) currently used between PV600 and ML1500 right? There should be no problem about the rest of pins as long as does pins 2,3 and 5 are straight-connected right?

Oh I see, so I would seem to need another cable. Can you provide the name and pinout of it? Also, could it also be connected to the male 9pins on the side of the ML1500?

Yah, hopefully, a PV+ expert could shed some light since I found something that might suggest problem:

On the PV600 project (PB32 application) upgrade to PV+, using FactoryTalk ME software manual, it seems the comm.configuration isn't included, that is, you have to configure communication again and there seems to be no RS-232 DH485, only Serial DF1, and the DH485 that requires separate comm. module seems referring to the other DH458 that isn't RS-232.

Though it might just be on that manual, what could be the alternative if that would actually be the case? Do you have some idea about what was the type of communication the other converted PV+ used (used the round port on the left bottom of the ML1500 and has 9pins/serial to the PV+ side and has some converter in between)?

Thanks for your response!

FT ME Comm. Config, no RS-232-DH485.jpg FT ME Comm. Config, no RS-232-DH485b.jpg

This null-modem cable you refer is if I want to retain the RS-232 DH485 communication?

I've read that I can actually reset the comm. config to default (presumably DF1) by pressing the button under the CPU cover. If I do this, could I now use the same straight 9pins ribbon cable?

Also, can I set the comm. config back to the originally communicating to PV600 DH485 again without doing some reprogramming/download, maybe by pressing the button again? If so, would it be as though nothing happened and no additional reconfiguring/setting needed (nothing will be negatively affected/everything will be back to what state it was)?

Or would I really need this 1747-CP3 cable as stated on the manual (please see attached file)?

Thanks!

ML1500 Upload.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, it seems the comm.reset button only applies to channel 0 (the round comm.port on the ML1500 and this channel 1 diagram using 1747-CP3 is under RS-232 DF1 protocol?

So is there a way I can communicate on channel 1 (the 9pins male port on side of ML1500) which is currently communicating on a PV600 via RS-232 (DH485)? What cable should I use? Could that above channel 1 diagram using 1747-CP3 also apply?

Or I would really need to connect to channel 0 (round port) with different cable and with some "AIC+" in between (as on the diagram on previous post) just to upload/download program?

Reset Comm. Only for Ch.0.jpg

Last edited:
Anyways, if everything would work out right, that is, if I got to upload the PV600 project, migrate it smoothly to PV+ and it happens the new PV+ could really adapt the existing communication (RS-232-DH485) as stated in the manual, then I shouldn't need to do anything more at the PLC/ML1500 (just unplug the old PV600 and plug the new PV+ 700, even using the old cable and there you go..) right?

Another positive sign that the new PV+ might be able to adapt the old comm. (RS-232 DH485), it's stated in the manual that PV+ also need just straight cable (2711-NC13) to communicate with ML1500 LRP (w/ 9pin male serial on side of CPU) and it also specifically state DH485 in protocol.

Though I don't understand the "requires DB9 to DB25 adapter" since both PV+ and ML1500 LRP have just 9pins male port right?

PV+ to ML1500 Cable is Just Straight.jpg

This migration should be pretty simple.

Because the PanelView Plus has Ethernet and USB and a memory card slot, you have many options for loading runtime files onto the terminal. Ethernet is fastest and virtually all PCs have Ethernet built in.

The PanelView Plus will plug right into the old cable. You do not have to change anything physical at all.

The PanelView Plus will run the DH485 Serial driver on its RS-232 serial port. No problem.

To program the MicroLogix, your best option is a 1761-CBL-PM02 cable. That goes from a PC port to the 8-pin round Mini-DIN port, and has been part of MicroLogix users toolboxes since 1995. No matter what the serial port is set for now, you can press the DCOMM button and use that port to upload or monitor the MicroLogix.

You have a lot of questions without waiting for some answers. So instead of attempting to answer any unanswered questions thus far, I will just break it all down and see what questions you have after that...

The hardware migration you are attempting is pretty straight forward.

The application conversion is not always so straight forward.

For the hardware and comms...

The existing PanelView terminal (2711-K6C5) has a DB-9 RS-232 (DH-485) port. This terminal can only use the DH-485 protocol.

The MicroLogix 1500 LRP Channel 1 DB-9 side port can be set to many different protocol options, but must have been set to DH-485 to communicate with the 2711-K6C5 PanelView RS-232 (DH-485) terminal.

So the protocol between the PanelView and the MicroLogix had to be DH-485.

To connect the old PanelView DB-9 RS-232 (DH-485) port to the Channel 1 DB-9 port on the side of the MicroLogix 1500 LRP, you would normally use a 2711-NC13 DB-9 to DB-9 straight through or equivalent cable. Only pins 2-2, 3-3, 5-5 are required.

So this DB-9 to DB-9 "ribbon" cable that was making this connection using pins 2-2, 3-3, 5-5 should be OK to use again between the new 2711P-K7C4A8 PanelView Plus 6 and the MicroLogix 1500 LRP Channel 1.

To transfer applications between your computer and the PanelView terminal, using a point-to-point connection, your computer must have a bone fide DB-9 serial port, as Mickey advised. You can use the 2711-NC13 or equivalent DB-9 to DB-9 straight through cable for this purpose. So the "ribbon" cable, again, should be OK for this purpose. You use the 1747-PIC / AIC+ driver in RSLinx Classic.

You can also use the Ethernet port on the newer PanelView and an Ethernet driver in RSLinx Classic.

Or alternatively, you can transfer to the terminal using a USB flash drive.

Because there are two ports on the MicroLogix 1500 LRP, you have a choice as to which port you can use to Upload/Download the program to the controller.

If using the Channel 1 DB-9 port on the side of the MicroLogix 1500, you would use a 1747-CP3 (DB-9 to DB-9) cable for a point-to-point connection, or equivalent null modem cable. You would use the 1747-PIC / AIC+ driver in RSLinx Classic as the Channel 1 port is configured for DH-485 and cannot be defaulted to DF1.

The most common method is to use the Channel 1 side port for communications to the PanelView and use the (if free) Channel 0 front port for communications with a computer.

If using the Channel 0 8-pin mini-Din (round) port on the front of the MicroLogix 1500, you would use a 1761-CBL-PM02 (8-pin mini-Din to DB-9) cable for a point-to-point connection, or equivalent cable. This is not a null modem cable. It has a specific pin-out arrangement. You would use the RS-232 DF1 devices driver in RSLinx Classic, if the Channel 0 port is set for DF1, or if defaulted to DF1 using the DCOMM button. If the Channel 0 port happened to be configured for DH-485, then you would use the 1747-PIC / AIC+ driver, if you did not want to DCOMM default it to DF1. If it happened to be set for something else, such as Modbus, then you would have to DCOMM default it to DF1 to establish communications and use the RS-232 DF1 devices driver.

Note: You cannot use the 2711-NC13 or equivalent DB-9 to DB-9 straight through cable for Upload/Download of programs from a computer to the MicroLogix 1500 controller. For a point-to-point connection a null modem cable or a straight through cable with a null modem adapter must be used.

For the application conversion...

As you are aware, the communications configuration for the application does not convert from PanelBuilder32 to FactoryTalk View ME. You have to rebuild the shortcut and path to the MicroLogix controller under the Runtime (Target) tab in View Studio.

For RSLinx Enterprise, there are two available drivers for DH-485...

DH485 (1784-PKTX, 2711P-RN6)
Serial DH485 (including 2711P-RN3, 2711P-RN22C)

The "DH485" driver refers to a native DH-485 port (RJ-45 or AMP).

The "Serial DH485" driver refers to a serial port configured for DH-485, such as the RS-232 (DH-485) PanelView terminals. The "Serial DH485" driver is the one you want. When you add this driver to RSLinx Enterprise, note that the driver is assigned a "Station Number" of "0". This is the DH-485 node address of the PanelView as it communicates from this driver out the serial port to the controller at runtime.

Once you have added the driver, you add your device i.e. MicroLogix 1500 LRP. When you add the controller to the driver it will default assign it a DH-485 node address of 1. The usual node address assignment between a single DH-485 PanelView and controller is node 0 and node 1 respectively. But if they happen to be on a larger DH-485 network then it is possible that the node addresses could be different. You should be able to check the original node address assignment from the PanelBuilder32 application, if you do not already know it. (See attached steps...)

Also note, under the "Communication Setup", the PLC shortcut to the controller must be named exactly as it was for the original tag references in the PanelBuilder32 application. This will be the part of a tag reference enclosed inside the square brackets [].

Example:

::[ML1500_LRP]N7:0

Whatever is inside the brackets must be used exactly as seen for the new PLC shortcut name. (See example shortcut name in attached...)

When you have added the shortcut, then under the Runtime (Target) tab place the focus on the controller under the driver and then click "Apply" above the shortcut. This assigns the controller to the shortcut. If you wish, you can review the path is assigned correctly by using "Verify" at the bottom. You can then press "OK" to close the "Communications Setup".

Ok, I'll leave it there until you have 20 more questions... :p

EDIT: Ken, I have to work on my shorthand!

Regards,
George

PV_RS232_DH485_RSLE.jpg

Last edited:
Just to clear this one up...

nicer said:
...Though I don't understand the "requires DB9 to DB25 adapter" since both PV+ and ML1500 LRP have just 9pins male port right?

This is a typographical error...

You are viewing Table 17 on page 15 of the PanelView Plus 6 Specifications, which is related to MicroLogix connections. It says...

Terminal Type:
MicroLogix 1400, 1500LRP
Port: CH1/CH2 - 9-pin RS-232
Protocol: DF1 or DH-485 (point-to-point)

2711-NC13 (5 m/16 ft) or 2711-NC14
(10m/32 ft) cable
(Requires DB9 to DB25 adapter)

The adapter is NOT required here as you say because it is a DB-9 to DB-9 connection.

If you scroll up to Table 15 on the same page you will see the same reference for PLC-5 connections...

Terminal Type:
PLC-5, PLC-5C, PLC-5E
Port: CH0 - 25-pin RS-232
Protocol: DF1

2711-NC13 (5 m/16 ft) or 2711-NC14
(10m/32 ft) cable
(Requires DB9 to DB25 adapter)

Because the PLC-5 has a 25-pin RS-232 port you DO require a DB-9 to DB-25 adapter to make the connection to the PanelView.

As those two places are the only references to that specific text in the entire document, I think they simply used copy/paste from the earlier PLC-5 section into the MicroLogix section, but forgot to erase the adapter note.

A small oversight.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Now for the hard parts.

Running the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver on Windows computers is notably difficult. It will not run on Windows 10,8,7,or Vista at all. It will run with difficulty on Windows XP SP2 or on XP SP3 with a patch.

And you would need it to upload the PanelView Standard application file using the terminal serial port, or to upload/download/go online with the MicroLogix 1500 using Channel 1 in its current configuration.

You can use a 1747-UIC (U for USB) for both of those functions. Those work under all modern operating systems.

The better option for the PanelView Standard is to use a Flash card to copy the application off the terminal. A CompactFlash card under 2 GB, formatted for FAT16 format, in a Type II carrier is my favorite method.

The better option for the MicroLogix 1500 is to get a 1761-CBL-PM02 cable, press the DCOMM button, and connect up over the 8-pin round port using ordinary DF1 Full Duplex protocol.

And last, an option:

You used DH485 over RS-232 between the PanelView and the MicroLogix on the old system because... well, I don't know why. Maybe because that PanelView was all they had handy, or because there used to be other DH485 devices on the network.

If all you have is the PanelView Plus and the MicroLogix 1500 connected with a serial cable now, there's no reason not to just use DF1 Full Duplex protocol.

It's slightly faster and there's the extra benefit that the MicroLogix serial port stays at the default DF1 Full Duplex protocol settings, which allow you to use ordinary USB/RS232 converters and the more stable and simple DF1 Full Duplex protocol in the future.

Yes, it would be a very helpful to state which Windows OS and version of RSLinx Classic you are using?

You may not even have the 1747-PIC driver available to you, or even if you do, it may not function correctly depending on the OS.

DF1 would be a better route to go, even if it now means editing the program for the controller.

Good spot Ken.

EDIT: Wait? Is the RS-232 (DH-485) port not tied to DH-485 on the newer PanelViews?

I'll check...

Yep, the serial port is RS-232 (DF1/DH-485), so DF1 is indeed an option. (y)

The PanelView Standard terminals spec'd with RS-232 (DF1) and RS-232 (DH-485) were tied to their protocol, but the newer PanelView Plus terminals do both protocols. I had a hazy moment there.

G.

Last edited:
This migration should be pretty simple.

Because the PanelView Plus has Ethernet and USB and a memory card slot, you have many options for loading runtime files onto the terminal. Ethernet is fastest and virtually all PCs have Ethernet built in.

The PanelView Plus will plug right into the old cable. You do not have to change anything physical at all.

The PanelView Plus will run the DH485 Serial driver on its RS-232 serial port. No problem.

To program the MicroLogix, your best option is a 1761-CBL-PM02 cable. That goes from a PC port to the 8-pin round Mini-DIN port, and has been part of MicroLogix users toolboxes since 1995. No matter what the serial port is set for now, you can press the DCOMM button and use that port to upload or monitor the MicroLogix.

Since I found many guys in the forum seems to have success with uploading PV600 RS-232 (DH485) direct to laptop w/ 9pins male using straight cable + 1747 PIC/AIC+ RSLinx driver and, yap, I guess I won't have any problems loading the migrated program (assuming it would be smoothly migrated) to the new PV+ 700 counterpart, then my main concern would be the communication of the new PV+ with the old ML1500 LRP (preferrably retaining both the comm.hardware/cabling and software/ML1500 config/RS-232 DH485 since I also don't have software and cable for ML1500 reconfig.)

So if what you are saying that it could really adapt the old communication, that you I still configure DH485 driver on FactoryView for the PV+ RS-232 comm. port (and that my screenshot "FT ME Comm. Config, no RS-232-DH485" above is not true), then that would really be good news to me.

If everything would work out fine, then I wouldn't even need to touch the ML1500 right? I think the only possible scenario that I would need software and cable for ML1500 would be:

1) if I wouldn't be able to upload the PV project hence I would have to do the dreaded "reverse-engineering" (since they don't have documentation for the old PV) and

2) if I need to change the communication (maybe from RS-232 DH485 to DF1) I would need to reconfig ML1500 right?

-------

I see, so it's the cable for channel 0, and yap I guess that could be the better one since there's always the reset to default (DF1). That would be connected direct to the laptop 9pins male right? Would you also recommend the USB version of that?

Thanks for your always informative reply sir Ken Roach! I'm really glad you can help me (and all those readers) on this.

Last edited:
You have a lot of questions without waiting for some answers. So instead of attempting to answer any unanswered questions thus far, I will just break it all down and see what questions you have after that...

The hardware migration you are attempting is pretty straight forward.

The application conversion is not always so straight forward.

For the hardware and comms...

The existing PanelView terminal (2711-K6C5) has a DB-9 RS-232 (DH-485) port. This terminal can only use the DH-485 protocol.

The MicroLogix 1500 LRP Channel 1 DB-9 side port can be set to many different protocol options, but must have been set to DH-485 to communicate with the 2711-K6C5 PanelView RS-232 (DH-485) terminal.

So the protocol between the PanelView and the MicroLogix had to be DH-485.

To connect the old PanelView DB-9 RS-232 (DH-485) port to the Channel 1 DB-9 port on the side of the MicroLogix 1500 LRP, you would normally use a 2711-NC13 DB-9 to DB-9 straight through or equivalent cable. Only pins 2-2, 3-3, 5-5 are required.

So this DB-9 to DB-9 "ribbon" cable that was making this connection using pins 2-2, 3-3, 5-5 should be OK to use again between the new 2711P-K7C4A8 PanelView Plus 6 and the MicroLogix 1500 LRP Channel 1.

To transfer applications between your computer and the PanelView terminal, using a point-to-point connection, your computer must have a bone fide DB-9 serial port, as Mickey advised. You can use the 2711-NC13 or equivalent DB-9 to DB-9 straight through cable for this purpose. So the "ribbon" cable, again, should be OK for this purpose. You use the 1747-PIC / AIC+ driver in RSLinx Classic.

You can also use the Ethernet port on the newer PanelView and an Ethernet driver in RSLinx Classic.

Or alternatively, you can transfer to the terminal using a USB flash drive.

Because there are two ports on the MicroLogix 1500 LRP, you have a choice as to which port you can use to Upload/Download the program to the controller.

If using the Channel 1 DB-9 port on the side of the MicroLogix 1500, you would use a 1747-CP3 (DB-9 to DB-9) cable for a point-to-point connection, or equivalent null modem cable. You would use the 1747-PIC / AIC+ driver in RSLinx Classic as the Channel 1 port is configured for DH-485 and cannot be defaulted to DF1.

The most common method is to use the Channel 1 side port for communications to the PanelView and use the (if free) Channel 0 front port for communications with a computer.

If using the Channel 0 8-pin mini-Din (round) port on the front of the MicroLogix 1500, you would use a 1761-CBL-PM02 (8-pin mini-Din to DB-9) cable for a point-to-point connection, or equivalent cable. This is not a null modem cable. It has a specific pin-out arrangement. You would use the RS-232 DF1 devices driver in RSLinx Classic, if the Channel 0 port is set for DF1, or if defaulted to DF1 using the DCOMM button. If the Channel 0 port happened to be configured for DH-485, then you would use the 1747-PIC / AIC+ driver, if you did not want to DCOMM default it to DF1. If it happened to be set for something else, such as Modbus, then you would have to DCOMM default it to DF1 to establish communications and use the RS-232 DF1 devices driver.

Note: You cannot use the 2711-NC13 or equivalent DB-9 to DB-9 straight through cable for Upload/Download of programs from a computer to the MicroLogix 1500 controller. For a point-to-point connection a null modem cable or a straight through cable with a null modem adapter must be used.

For the application conversion...

As you are aware, the communications configuration for the application does not convert from PanelBuilder32 to FactoryTalk View ME. You have to rebuild the shortcut and path to the MicroLogix controller under the Runtime (Target) tab in View Studio.

For RSLinx Enterprise, there are two available drivers for DH-485...

DH485 (1784-PKTX, 2711P-RN6)
Serial DH485 (including 2711P-RN3, 2711P-RN22C)

The "DH485" driver refers to a native DH-485 port (RJ-45 or AMP).

The "Serial DH485" driver refers to a serial port configured for DH-485, such as the RS-232 (DH-485) PanelView terminals. The "Serial DH485" driver is the one you want. When you add this driver to RSLinx Enterprise, note that the driver is assigned a "Station Number" of "0". This is the DH-485 node address of the PanelView as it communicates from this driver out the serial port to the controller at runtime.

Once you have added the driver, you add your device i.e. MicroLogix 1500 LRP. When you add the controller to the driver it will default assign it a DH-485 node address of 1. The usual node address assignment between a single DH-485 PanelView and controller is node 0 and node 1 respectively. But if they happen to be on a larger DH-485 network then it is possible that the node addresses could be different. You should be able to check the original node address assignment from the PanelBuilder32 application, if you do not already know it. (See attached steps...)

Also note, under the "Communication Setup", the PLC shortcut to the controller must be named exactly as it was for the original tag references in the PanelBuilder32 application. This will be the part of a tag reference enclosed inside the square brackets [].

Example:

::[ML1500_LRP]N7:0

Whatever is inside the brackets must be used exactly as seen for the new PLC shortcut name. (See example shortcut name in attached...)

When you have added the shortcut, then under the Runtime (Target) tab place the focus on the controller under the driver and then click "Apply" above the shortcut. This assigns the controller to the shortcut. If you wish, you can review the path is assigned correctly by using "Verify" at the bottom. You can then press "OK" to close the "Communications Setup".

Ok, I'll leave it there until you have 20 more questions... :p

EDIT: Ken, I have to work on my shorthand!

Regards,
George

First of all, wow, that was very detailed! I really appreciate your effort to help me and those who will read this! Thanks very much sir George! Now..

I see, yap I read that uploading PV600 RS-232 (DH485) directly to laptop w/9pins male serial port (using 1747 PIC/AIC+ driver on RSLinx) just need straight cable, like 2711-NC13, and which only uses ports 2,3 and 5. Since the existing 9pins female-female ribbon cable I tested is also straight, albeit uses all 9 pins, it should be ok as long as pins 2,3 and 5 are straight-connected (after all the other pins will not be used at all right?).

I'm glad you can confirm that the old straight 9pins ribbon cable is also the one to use to for new PV+!

I see, if I want to use ML1500 LRP ch.1 (side 9pins port) I must use null-modem cable like 1747-CP3, and if ch.0, I must use the proprietary 1761-CBL-PM02. Since I don't have both, then I think, as you suggest, I better go for the ch.0 if I wanna buy (though the null modem cable might be more easily available). What do you think about the USB versions of these?

---Application Conversion---

I see, I'm glad you can confirm that there's still the RS-232/Serial DH485 driver for the new PV+ (that's also for the onboard/integrated 9pins male port on the new PV+ right?)! Yap, that's what I want so that I won't need to modify anything on comm. hardware (cabling) and software (ML1500 config) for I also currently don't have ML1500 software and cable.

So, it seems you are saying that, as part of the communication reconfiguration, I would be assigning node address for the new PV+ and the old ML1500 LRP address from RSLinx Enterprise. Will this really be "assigning" in a sense that I can change whatever node address they are already assigned (I did check the old PV600 node address from its comm.setting on its screen itself, and it's actually "2")? Or it's actually "adapting" in the sense that I need to know the node addresses and put it on the RSLinx (ie, I should check the ML1500 address and "copy" that on RSLinx) for it to work?

If the latter, then it seems I really might actually need ML1500 software and cable to check it's node address? Or the ML1500 node address can also be found on the uploaded old PV600 program on PB32 as what you seems also saying?

Good thing is that the system is just point-to-point communication between 1 PV600 and 1 ML1500 LRP.

I'm really glad you also provide step-by-step guide on how to reconfigure communication for the migrated project for new PV+! That's an advanced help for me since, though there's the guide manual, I also don't have experience yet on the migration process so I would probably encounter and ask again this things you already given (and on a very detailed fashion!) here so really thank you sir!

Last edited: