AB Versa View keep rebooting?!

sutton

Lifetime Supporting Member
Dear All,

I had face a strange problem over a week. I have an evaporator system that stop by itself 2-3 times in a day. The evaporator system had been installed and running for 2 years. The system run 24 hours in high volume so this problem is causing me a big time. I had tried several method to solve the problem, but I still unable to find out the root cause. Please advice what are the most possible cause that can stop the system. Below are the symptom and action i had taken. Also attached the machine system layout for your understanding. Thank you.

Symptom:
1. Evaporator System stops immediately.

2. Versa View Microsoft operating system reboot by itself.

3. PLC RSLogix go offline by itself. Note that PLC ladder monitoring normally in online status, for technical trouble shooting purpose.

Action:

1. Changed new Versa View Industrial PC. Clean up the hard disk. Install anti-virus and ensure operating system is healthy. Remove any bios that can cause the PC to reboot.

System still stops once in a while. PC still reboot by itself.

2. Disabled PC Anywhere remote control. Only use versa view as sole control.

Symptom still happened.

3. Temporary bypass E-stop circuit. E-stop is the only control that can execute sudden stop to the system.

Symptom still happened. It is confirmed that E-stop circuit does not cause the sudden stop to the system.

4. Turn off Versa View Industrial PC, power plug remain connected in the panel. Reinstall Remote workstation PC software to take over sole control of Versa View PC.

Another symptom happened. Versa View Industrial PC reboot by itself without turning on the switch. Though this PC is now not in operation. The steam valve just shut down itself and cause problem to the system.

One system means a fault with that system. Multiple faults mean you have an underlying issue common to all.

I suspect power dips is the culprit. I would monitor your system power and see what happens. Also, you mentioned having to install "anti virus" software on your Versa View. Typically, these systems are isolated from viruses, as they aren't connected to the internet. I would evaluate your installation in that regard.

Thank you Tomalbright. We installed anti-virus because we do use the thumbdrive to upload the history data files in the PC. Just to prevent virus from the thumbdrive.

I do believe power dips in the root cause as well. The next action we will change a new DC24 Power supply. However, I do not understand how power dips can happened under such circumstance where the system is installed and run for 2 years. Please advice. Thank you.

Yes I have seen the documents, they don't really tell much about your problem. If you are having problems in this one cabinet, check the really obvious and easily forgotten things, such as system grounding, presence of any new equipment in the area, stuff like that. If it worked for 2 years and now doesn't, something has changed.

The PLC going into "offline" is disturbing - any faults there?

um, do your operators access the internet from these systems?

Put a power monitor on the main supply and if your 24V power supply is feed by 110VAC, then put it on a battery backup. Same with the PLC power and Versaview. Most battery backups double as a surge supressor.

I worked for a plant that never had power porblems until they installed a cold storage building down the street. We started seeing brown outs and spikes twice a day. Come to find out that the sub station was bringing cap banks online and the tap changer was switching.

Dear Tomalbright and Kev77,

1. The PLC going into "offline" is disturbing - any faults there?
>> The actual "offline" is the PC RSlogic ladder logic monitoring state from Online going offline. Mean communication lost during the shutdown period. Else it is stayed online all the time for easier troubleshooting.

There are no faulty in the PLC. We don't even need to reset any faulty in the PLC.

2. do your operators access the internet from these systems?
>> no, the control system is totally isolated from the internet. The only thing they do is to download the historic data in the Wonderware database. So they use only thumbdrive which is the only source to cause virus.

3. put it on a battery backup. Same with the PLC power and Versaview.
>>For PLC, we do have a healthy battery as the backup. For Versaview, we will get a UPS to install. At the moment, we shifted the control from Versa View to the remote PC in the control room. So now the Versa View does not take control of the PLC data. During the last shut down incident, the remote PC stay healthy. But the Versa View PC which is being switched off just switch on itself. I wonder what can cause the PC to turn on itself?

The biggest suspect now is the power dips.
May I ask if the power dips only occurs in the panel or does it effect the whole area in the plant? is it does affect the whole area, why does it only effect our Evaporator system area
Is it possible power dips affecting the DC24V power supply? is there battery unit for a DC power supply device?

Last edited:
The system just stop a while ago. This time i had installed an AC voltage graph plotter and it showed there is a spike in the waveform.

The PLC turn off during the spike so the Evaporator system just stop. The system resume once the PLC power up again.

I dont understand what is the cause for 230VAC to have power dip. What is the best action to prevend this?
Is there UPS for PLC? what about the DC Power supply?