SLC RIO setting???

dmun

Hello world.
Let me introduce, my name is Kalis.
i'm newbie in this forum.

I need help.
Recently i have a project using SLC 5/05 with RIO (its new for me).

Here is hardware configuration.

Chassis 0 (4 slot)
1747-L551
1747-BSN

Chassis 1 (10 slot)
1747-ASB
1746-NI8
1746-NO4I
1746-NI8
1746-NO4I
1746-IV8
1746-OW16
1746-IV8
1746-IV8

I have already connecting RIO network just like the ASB & BSN manual.
- RIO/DH+ BSN line 1 to line 1 ASB
- RIO/DH+ BSN line 2 to line 2 ASB
- RIO/DH+ BSN line SH to line SH ASB
- termination using 87ohm in each node(ASB and BSN side)

DIP switch setting in ASB:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
SW1 ON ON ON ON ON ON ON ON
SW2 OFF ON OFF ON ON OFF OFF OFF
SW3 OFF ON ON ON OFF OFF ON ON

DIP switch setting in BSN:
1 2 3 4 5 6
SW1 OFF ON OFF OFF OFF OFF
SW2 OFF OFF OFF OFF

G data:
1/4 rack
1/4 rack
1/4 rack
1/4 rack

1/4 rack
1/4 rack
1/4 rack
1/4 rack

Everything is ready, then power up.
In the ASB, status nOC (which means no RIO communication)
in the BSN, FLT LED is flashing red (which means not configured properly)

when i try to run/online from RSLogix, its FAULTED.

I dont know where is my mistake?
Please give me any help.
How should i configure this module.
Thanks.

Well, there are a lot of things wrong with your configuration.

First, the 1747-BSN is a Backup scanner. It's made to be installed in a pair with another controller and another 1747-BSN. Do you have a pair of "redundant" controllers and two 1747-BSN modules, or only one ?

Next, there are some problems with your RIO configuration, mostly on the 1747-ASB adapter. The problems are in red.

DIP switch setting in ASB:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
SW1 ON ON ON ON ON ON ON ON
Logical Rack 00, Starting Group 00

SW2 OFF ON OFF ON ON OFF OFF OFF
230.4 kb/s, 16 logical Groups

SW3 OFF ON ON ON OFF OFF ON ON
Do not hold last state, Automatically Restart, restricted link response (no effect at 230.4 kb/s), Not Last Chassis, 2-slot addressing, Discrete Mode analog modules, Module Keying in Save Mode.

DIP switch setting in BSN:
1 2 3 4 5 6
SW1 OFF ON OFF OFF OFF OFF
230.4 kb/s, RIO, User ID = 0, Not last module on local status link

SW2 OFF OFF OFF OFF
Local Status Link Address 1

thank you, Ken Roach.

actually, i will use redundant processor.
so, there is another BSN and L551 in the other 4-chassis.
i think to try that configuration first before move on to redundant part.

is it a MUST to try a redundant configuration if using BSN?
so, how should i configure the DIP switch (red)?

Last edited:
Are you using decimal or octal? The processor SLC or PLC will change your image bit numbers. SLC numbers are 0-7 8-15 PLC numbers are 0-7 10-17 when using 1747-ASB module.

Steve Pali

Take a look at the composition of your remote I/O chassis:

1747-ASB
1746-NI8
1746-NO4I
1746-NI8
1746-NO4I
1746-IV8
1746-OW16
1746-IV8
1746-IV8

There is no addressing scheme that will provide 8 words of data per slot in a 1747-ASB remote chassis. "2-slot" addressing provides 1 input word and 1 output word per two slots". "1-slot" addressing provides 1 input word and 1 output word per 1 slot, and "1/2 slot" addressing provides 1 input word and 1 output word per 1/2 slot. 1/2 Slot addressing gets closest; if you pair up 4-channel analog Input and Output cards, they can "borrow" each others I/O data in pairs and you can get 4 Words of Input and 4 Words of Output per pair.

With your system, just make it simple and use 1-Slot Addressing and set the specialty module mode for Block Transfer.

Your 1747-ASB in a 10-Slot chassis will support 9 I/O modules, which in Single-Slot addressing is 1 Full Logical Rack plus one leftover card.

Set up your "G-Files" for just one checkmark in the top box, and select "Full Rack".

The "noC" error is about wiring, not configuration. Try switching the 1 and 2 wires on the 1747-ASB RIO network plug.

how do i know this is dec or oct?
thx steve.

Steve Pali said:
Are you using decimal or octal? The processor SLC or PLC will change your image bit numbers. SLC numbers are 0-7 8-15 PLC numbers are 0-7 10-17 when using 1747-ASB module.

Steve Pali

thx.
now, i already understand how to count logical rack.

hmm, i've tried to switch the wire (1 & 2). nOC still appears.
i will try to re-wire the connection.
is it right, if i'm using termination 87ohm, in each end of node (total 3 node -> 2 BSN & 1 ASB)?

how about FLT blinking in BSN?
it is indication of wrong configuration, isn't it?

Kalis

Ken Roach said:

With your system, just make it simple and use 1-Slot Addressing and set the specialty module mode for Block Transfer.

Your 1747-ASB in a 10-Slot chassis will support 9 I/O modules, which in Single-Slot addressing is 1 Full Logical Rack plus one leftover card.

Set up your "G-Files" for just one checkmark in the top box, and select "Full Rack".

The "noC" error is about wiring, not configuration. Try switching the 1 and 2 wires on the 1747-ASB RIO network plug.

Hello, Ken.
I've already re-wiring the connection.
2 Processor, 2 BSN & 1 ASB (RIO) with hardware configuration just like before.
Then DIP switch as you suggested.
(8, logical groups, 1-slot addressing, Block Transfer)
Setup "G files" just one checkmark and "Full Rack"

The problem is still the same as before.
FLT LED blinking in the BSN
nOC in the ASB

How should i do next?
Is there any programming that i should download to the processor first (except the G files)?

Thanks.
Kalis