Display String file on PanelView 1000

wa5yom

I have a SLC 5/05 connected to a PanelView 1000.
I have converted a Decimal value within integers files and I have converted them to Ascii.
Each of 8 String file's contains one Ascii character.
I want to display each individual character on a PanelView 1000.

I set up a tag for each string. The PanelView displays "error" in each display field.

I have tried to change the tag to a Character Array but I get an error meassage stating that the tag and the diaplay definition are not the same (for example, that tag is a character array and the display is a unsigned integer). I try to chage the display tag to Character display and that option is not available.

I am at my wits end, and I must get this resolved this weekend.

Last edited:
Gimme an "S" ! Gimme a "T" !

Since you are time crunched, instead of doing Q&A on the forum let's get on the same page with PanelBuilder and RSLogix. Zip up your *.PBA and *.RSS files and post them to the Forum. If you're not comfortable revealing your whole application on the Web, create a sample PanelView application and a sample SLC application that contain the objects in question.

I'm sure that Forum members can help, but there are a lot of different settings to be examined here and it's faster to look at them in the software than it is to try to discuss them on the Forum.

Okay, what you have in each display object on your PanelView screen is really a Multi-State Indicator, set up with a single text character for each state. The values for each state are the decimal equivalents of those ASCII characters, where:

State 12 Text "A" Value 65
State 13 Text "B" Value 66 and so on.

You're going about this the hard way, though. For these multi-state indicators, you do not need a String data type.

Multi-State Indicators may be addressed to Integer data elements in the SLC-5/05. Instead of copying your array of Integers into a String file then extracting each character of that String into another String, you can use each N24:xx register individually.

The catch with this method usually would be that each ASCII character takes up one Byte, not one Word, and the Integer registers in an SLC are Word registers. Therefore two characters would be in each Word, making the value of the whole Word different than if just the one character were in the low Byte. Because your example shows just one character per Word (the high byte is zero), your Multi-State Indicator technique will work as is.

You also have an inconsistency where the alphabetical characters in your data string are lowercase, and the letter equivalent values in your Multi-State Indicator are for uppercase letters.

There's a simpler way, I think.

I can send both upper and lower case from the database PC.

I have tried using the N24 value but I also got a error.
Maybe I am missing the point of a multi state indicator.
Is there a easier way to use my string file on the Panelview?

Am I going to have to create a State "65" with the cooresponding ASCII character on the Multi State Indicator?
State "65" woul; be the decimal equivelant to cooresponding ASCII character.

Last edited:
Ok, I am getting there now, I see the cooresponding value column on the multi state indicator.
I see the relationship.
However, I got errors when I used the cooresponding N24 file for each tag.

What am I missing?

As I said, the Multi-State Indicator is a pretty labor- and memory- intensive way to display ASCII data on a PanelView.

I'd recommend embedding a Character Array into a Text object.

Create a Text Object, just like if you were going to put static text onto the display. Get the Text Entry dialog (or right-click inside the Text Entry field) and select Embedded Variable of a Character Array type. You also select the Field Length of the Embedded Variable (I chose 16).

You will need a tag that is defined as a Character Array. I tried it with a tag addressed to N24:0, Array Length 16 and was able to see the string "b 2 h 3 e 4 n p" that was in N24:0 through N24:7.

There's a twist, though; Character Arrays stop displaying when they encounter a Null character (00 hex). Your strings begin with a null character, so ordinarily the PanelView will stop displaying before it gets to the first non-Null character.

I wrote a little ladder code example to fill the N24 file with Space characters (hex 0x20) before masked-moving the other characters into place.

I had only a PV300 Micro and a MicroLogix 1500 to work with, so I cut down the example configurations to just one screen. Hopefully it will illustrate the method.

If you are simply trying to display ascii string text on the PV, look at what I have done on the first two characters on "Product form from Database PC".

These are a text object with a character embedded variable.

I agree with Ken, this could have been done without any ascii at all, but since you're this far, try out what I have.

Ken- Once again, you beat me only by seconds...

My method doesn't require the PLC program to be changed. I simply replaced the multi-state indicators with a text object with an embedded character variable using the tage for each of the current MS indicators.

(if I understand the problem correctly)