RS Logix 500

gphillips

I have RS Logix 500 Standard Edition Version 3.01.09 that is on a PC running Win 95.
It was purchased in '99 and the operating system requirements were Win 95 or NT v.4.0.
I now need to install it on a laptop running XP Pro. Should I anticipate any problems?

I believe the oldest version of RSLogix 500 that will run on XP is V 5.1 or V 5.2. I'll have to confirm that. The current version is 7.0 (7.10 available as a web-download only).

Looking back thru the release notes, it would appear that the earliest version of RSLogix500 that was verified to run on XP was V 5.00.10.

I run V4.50 on XP. Only thing I remember was having to udate RSLinx, with a patch D/L from Rockwell.

I know all things are not perfect, but when W XP was coming out, I thought it had some sort of backward compatability feature, which helped it run older programs? Maybe I only imagined such. I've only been using XP for the last 6-8 months or so. Prior to that I only did recovery work on other peoples XP machines, that went into their default boot looping issue, due to problems at start up.

mgvol I think you mis-read or something, ver 5.00.00 may run on system that was upgraded to XP (may not too) and you had to obtain ver 5.200.00. If you have an XP system, especially XP home then it will be difficult if at all possible to install RSL500 unless it is version 5/20.00 or above. I only know this because I went thru it with AB and Siemens Simatic S7.

The funny part is that version 4.50, or earlier versions in some cases, would install without issues. The main problem with that is you will lose some features for newer processors etc. I have that problem now. I just noticed that I have ver 5.20 but this Win98 system I use still has ver 5.00.00.

As far as the new laptop thing goes the MAIN issue, if you get it to install and work, will be communications to some of the processors. Most new laptops do not have a serial port so if you were using a PIC then it will not work with USB or PCMCIA adapters. What you may have to do is purchase a UIC (USB adapter) for the plcs that use DH485. IF all your processors have a serial connection then you may use a USB/PCMCIA adapter.

Last edited:
What the guys are really trying to say is "get a support contract and upgrade so you get Windows XP compatibility and support for all the SLC-500 controllers and operating system features that have been released in the past seven years".