Siemens Wincc Comfort Panel issue

Just want to mention that another option is to upgrade to 15.1, and if the contractor has to load a program onto a panel, you can use Pack&Go.

Juggling different program versions is possible but also a huge pain IMO.

This is true.

I just have to find the time and the will to do the update. I've never did a firmware update on a Siemens component before

The smartservice license would definitely be called "smartservice" or maybe "sm@rtservice".
(how stupid is it to use the "@" in a productname ... ?).

I've been told that a priority for trademarked names is name recognition, and polarizing things can often end up a net positive.

Example: item A is only noticed by 50% of customers, and 50% of those that notice buy it. Item B has some feature that is hated by 70% of people, but the other 30% buy it, and it is noticed by everyone. Item B ends up selling more stuff, even though it seems super duper dumb to most people.

Seriously though, the @ makes it a pain in the rear to search for.

I just came to the realisation, that if your TP1500 is part of a TIA project that also includes an S7-1500 PLC, then it is maybe not a good idea to upgrade to V15.1 if your contractor only has V13.
The reason is that when you migrate to V15.1, TIA will demand to compile all program blocks which in turn demands a complete download to the PLC, which in turn means that the contractor with V13 no longer can go online.
Even if you do not change the firmware version of the PLC, TIA still demand a compile and a renewed download.

This is the worst issue with TIA today IMO. The TIA version must be the same, for all persons working with the project. It makes maintaining existing projects with older versions a pain, and forces you to maintain multiple VMs with previous TIA versions.

If you only have a TP1500 in the TIA project, then OK to upgrade to V15.1.
Or if the PLC is actually a "proxy" PLC, then it is possibly also OK to upgrade to V15.1

Or if the PLC is actually a "proxy" PLC, then it is possibly also OK to upgrade to V15.1

Yeah, I'd suggest switching to the Proxy method, if they need to keep the PLC at the old version, although I guess I've never tried a mixed version device proxy before.

Agree though, all the version nonsense is easily the biggest drawback of TIA

Yeah...the project contains the controller as well.

I have an email out to the OEM concerning the issue to see why smart server is enabled and if it can be disabled.