Red Lion Crimson 3.0 and Banner Safety Controller.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,
I want my Red Lion Graphite HMI to be able to read the inputs of a Banner SC26-2DE Safety Controller, connected via Ethernet.
Do you think there's a way to do that?

The available Banner drivers in Crimson are the ones for PresencePLUS and Vision Systems.

Thank you!

It's probably easiest to configure the module with Modbus/TCP and read its data that way.

I have used them with the EtherNet/IP Adapter mode and that was fairly straightforward, but their documentation for PCCC needs some attention from a technical writer.

As far as I know, any one of the available Ethernet protocols can be licensed/enabled on the -E and -DE models of the safety controller. I don't think you need to buy a special part number to get a different network protocol.

Last edited:
Agreed, Modbus TCP is probably your best bet. The Red Lion can act as either a Modbus master or slave... I expect you will need master mode since the XS26 seems to be slave only.

The Red Lion can only function as a slave on Ethernet/IP. Since the XS26 likely only functions as a slave also, this is probably not an option.

Thanks for clarifying; when I used the XS26-DE in EtherNet/IP Adapter mode, my "Scanner" was a CompactLogix. Red Lion can't be a "Scanner" device for EtherNet/IP cyclic connections.

The Red Lion might be able to address the XS26-DE as though it was an A-B controller, using the PCCC command set that they advertise support for and show some documentation in the user manual.

But it's not clear how that addressing syntax works. Typically "PCCC" means you're emulating a PLC/SLC data table, and you need to designate what type of data and the data table number. "We're emulating N7:0 through 255" would be a reasonable explanation.

Instead the XS26 documentation gives a word offset and a data table type and says it's representing Class 0x71 and 0x72, which makes it a CIP Generic Object. That's not something that I think a Red Lion HMI can access.

So set this diversion aside... use Modbus/TCP.