Mitsubishi FX PLC

Tim Ledwith

I have to make some program changes to a Mitsubishi FX PLC. The customer has loaned me a laptop with the GX Developer Software FX loaded on it. I've only worked on A-B PLC's up to now and I am LOST and haven't a clue where to start. I looked on the Mitsubishi site for manuals etc, and the useful looking ones were not available for download ("supplied with software"). The customer can't find his original disc, so I'm really stuck.
Can anybody give me some links to websites where I might be able to get some basic "how to" or "FX programming for idiots" type manuals.
I'd like be able to use a PLC other than an A-B, but I'm having trouble just getting started.

Thanks in advance, Tim.

Mitsi

Hi Tim,
You will need the GX Developer and an SC09 Cable to be able to interface with the FX Plc.
When you say the customer has lost the disc are we refering to the PLC Program? I'd assume if he has the software he would hopefully have backed up the program with comments.
It can be a real pain if you have to suck out the program with just raw ladder.
How big are the changes you are required to make, if simple or major then posting the program on here will get you plenty of support and information.

try this site, you may need to register (30 seconds) but should get access to all the manuals you need.

www.automation.mitsubishielectric.co.uk

Regards, Gene.

Thanks to everybody who replied. I feel a bit more confident about having a go now.

The program does not appear to have any comments or labels, I'm looking for an analogue setpoint that needs altering.

Thanks again, Tim.

Its just possible that the comments might be there. (or some of them)

With the FX series you can download/upload the comments to & from the plc.

When uploading from the plc -tick the box that says comments
However when you view the program, comments are not on by default.

You have to select veiw - comments, if they were there, they will now be shown.

It depends on the size of the program as comments take up program memory. If the program is bigger than 1500 steps then there is no chance the comments are there. (unless larger plug-in eeprom used)

If the setpoint is fixed, I'd search for something like the following
assuming the setpoint was 100

eg....
----[mov k100 D0]-

I'd search for K100

Mitsubishi

Hi again Tim,
There's no magic behind the Fx, its just getting familiar with the software and hardware.
Back to basics, can you define the specific Fx Model, and what additional modules are interfaced with the PLC and if more than one in what order they are placed starting with the nearest to the PLC. (From Left to Right, FxCPU/2AD/8IP/8OP etc.)
If you are using an A/D module, then you can expect to see TO and FROM commands, where the CPU is reading and writing from the module.
Again if you can specify the Module type, then again there are specific manuals for the modules.
They also include basic examples of code used to interface with the main PLC program.

Regards, Gene.

Maybe this can explain a litle:

Compare numerical data zones ( ZCP 16 bit)
( ZCPP 16 bit, pulse function)
( DZCP 32 bit)
( DZCPP 32 bit, pulse function)

Description

The data in source (S3) is compared with the data in sources (S1) and (S2).

Destination operand (D) is set according to the result of the compare operation (greater than, less than, equal) :

(S3) < (S1),(S2) -> (D)
(S1) < (S3) < (S2) -> (D)+1
(S3) > (S1),(S2) -> (D)+2
The data from source (S1) should not be greater than the data from source (S2).

/mihaly

[ZCP K20 K70 D200 M0]

In nice plain English it means compare the value in data register D200
Depending on the result, 1 of 3 internal bits will be on < or = or >

The Z means 'Zone' compare so a low and high value are given.

In this case; Check the value in D200, if it is less than 20 then the internal bit M0 will be on.
If it is between 20 and 70 then M1 will be on
If it is higher than 70, then M2 will be on.

Remember this insruction uses 3 M bits but only one can be seen in the logic and in the 'used devices' check list.

...and P in ZCP (or any other instruction) means it's executed only
on first scan (pulse) when condition in front of instruction becomes true (like one shot).
just about all instructions have their "one shot" versions
(MOV and MOVP, INC and INCP etc.)
same way, if you preceed instruction with D it works like 32bit
(MOV and DMOV, INC and DINC etc.)
of course you can have combinations of "one shot" and 32bit as well
(DMOVP, DINCP,...)

Last edited: