Automaticon Direct Click Vs MicroLogix 1400

theColonel26

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am a AD Click fanboy for small simple projects (I know that is relative). I actually learned PLC programming in RS Logix 500 with MicroLogix controllers like I assume most guys have.

I really wanted to have a good comparison of the pro and cons of both. Maybe this can be expanded into comparing the Do-More and Productivity with Micrologix as well but lets focus on Clicks for now.

For me I really don't like the RS Logix 500 UI. I feels very cumbersome. For example there is no easy way to scroll through all the used Addresses. In the Click software there is.

The things they have in common are

• No Tag cased addressing (meaning all variables must be manually assigned a fixed address)
  • No Custom Data Types (IE Structs)
  • No User Defined Function Blocks
  • No User defined Functions
  • Both support being a EtherNet/IP slave (Though clicks is more limited than MicroLogix)

Click Pros

• They are about 25% of the cost of a MicroLogix 1400, so are the expansion modules.
  • The Programming Software is Free
Click Cons

• No easy dragging and dropping of symbols already in the program, but copy/paste is allowed.
RS Logix 500 / MicroLogix Pros

• Better EtherNet/IP support
RS Logix 500 / MicroLogix Cons

• Expensive

Disagree or have more to add?

EDIT:

If you would like to try out the Click Software, You can download it at https://support.automationdirect.com/products/clickplcs.html?clickplcs.com

The Do-More is available at https://support.automationdirect.com/products/domore.html

Productivity is here https://support.automationdirect.com/products/p3000.html

BEN-LAPTOP - 2019-04-11 15-47-46.png

Last edited:
In my Rs Logix 500 i can flip through the addresses pretty fast? I like it better than 5000 tbh. In 5000, you have to scroll down to local, then expand, then see whether the tags are used or not, but in 500 you can press one button to see what is used or not and use the arrow keys to flip between the local i/o. I have not used the click PLCs, so please send me one so I can test out myself and give you better answer :))))

In my Rs Logix 500 i can flip through the addresses pretty fast? I like it better than 5000 tbh. In 5000, you have to scroll down to local, then expand, then see whether the tags are used or not, but in 500 you can press one button to see what is used or not and use the arrow keys to flip between the local i/o. I have not used the click PLCs, so please send me one so I can test out myself and give you better answer :))))

I updated my OP with Links in response to your question

So there is a view in in RS 500 like the one I posted in the OP of the Click software?

It's more like this; you just select one and use the arrow keys to move around.

1LqqZwn

You should also look at the Productivity Series. P1000 is a similar price to the click with full PID capability, USB programming port, RS232 port, RS485 port, and Ethernet Port. Micro SD card for data logging and program back up. The productivity suite is free and will program the P1000, P2000 or P3000. This will grow with your system(s).

Click is good for small machine control. P1000 is good for machine and process control.
BRX (Do-More) is good for communication (MQTT, HTTPCMD plus all of the standard Modbus and Ethernet IP).

It really depends on the application.
Regards,

RSLogix 500 is quite a bit superior to Click software in most regards especially the ladder editor. The Micrologix handles String files better, which I use for the built in LCD display which the Click does not have. The ML1400 has a high speed counter and PID function. I know the latest Click firmware supports high speed counting now, but not PID. These differences are usually not a show stopper, but can affect selection. If I need a PID algorithm that rules out the Click.

I do like the Click and its Ethernet models are pushing hard against the power and capability of the ML1400. I have about a dozen Clicks deployed in simple applications, one of them as a telemetry master of a handful of radio i/o modules and none of the Clicks have given us any trouble. Where we need to pinch pennies and provide the customer with programming software they are a good choice. I can program faster with RSLogix 500 and most of the time the cost of programming labor exceeds the cost of hardware so we use more Micrologix than any other model.

• Expensive

I guess it depends on what you consider Expensive.... 151.00 to me is cheap 9324-RLM0100ENE

I am a fan of the Click PLC's but they are no 1400, for something simple... OK I would use a Click but if a machine I am building and sending to a customer, I will pick a 1400 any day

Awesome to see the 1400 is still alive and well here. Our AB vendor always talks like we need to move to the Micro 800 series, but I'm in no hurry. Probably won't until they start raising the price to force obsolecense.

Haven't tried the click but my go-to dirt cheap PLC is the Unitronics samba. PLC with analog I/O and 4.3" touchscreen for under $300. Tedius, slow software, although free is the major downside.

Last edited:
I was more looking for specifics, I am well aware Allen Bradley fan boys love Allen Bradley. What specific features are better than the click?

The usage view on RS 500 stil more cumbersome than Click's you have to arrow through it to see what each address is called, and you can o ly view them one at a time. It's not as easy to get an overall view in RS 500 it's like looking at things through a pin hole.

Last edited:
RSLogix 500 is quite a bit superior to Click software in most regards especially the ladder editor. The Micrologix handles String files better, which I use for the built in LCD display which the Click does not have. The ML1400 has a high speed counter and PID function. I know the latest Click firmware supports high speed counting now, but not PID. These differences are usually not a show stopper, but can affect selection. If I need a PID algorithm that rules out the Click.
Now the Click has PID function!
https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...lers/click_series_plcs_(stackable_micro_brick)