SLC 5/03 Fault

I have a SLC 5/03 that was previously working, but is currently faulted. The lights are as follows:
POWER - ON
RUN - OFF
FLT - ON
BATT - BLINKING (1Hz)
FORCE- BLINKING (1Hz)
DH485 - BLINKING (1Hz)
RS232 - BLINKING (0.5 Hz)

Tried pulling battery and discharging cap several times to no avail. Anyone seen anything like this?

I have seen that too many times.

The CPU itself has a hardware fault.

It MAY be recoverable if you have a firmware update EEPROM, but if it's the actual hardware you now have a paperweight for your desk.

you might place the unit in a rack for 12 hours and then poser it off for 1/2 hour.
then power it back on and see if you can clear the fault.
you may have to remove the battery and then use a 250 ohm resistor to short out the internal capacitor. a dead short will do more harm than good.

I did this with an Omron years ago and it worked, but I cannot guarantee how long the plc will last if it does work.

you should consider sending it into a repair shop.
We use teamsesco and they are reasonably priced.

note, I am not associated with teamsesco, they are a vendor I use for plc repairs. i'm sure there are others that do the same thing.

james

Forget anything to do with the battery... remove it, leave it disconnected, do the backup capacitor discharge procedure (I have always just shorted the cap itself, it is no worse than the cap discharging into a low impedance load, something most caps do in their lifetime at least once with no detriment) and then power the unit up again.

It *should* come up as healthy, with a "DEFAULT" project loaded, but if it still shows the same LEDs, then you have a failed processor. If it shows up as a working processor, then you should be good to go, just re-download the project to it