TIA PORTAL Diagnostic text inside Data Block

meelman

Hey people,

I have been using GET_NAME , GET_IM_DATA and ModuleStatus
FB to get an info from Modules inside my program, but ever since and always whenever I got problem with CPU/MODULE or whenever there is red light on CPU my first step is to under
"Online&Diagnostic" -> DiagnosticBuffer. This is a place where I can find out the most of information what has happend or what is still happening.

Is there are any alternative solution to get contest of
DiagnosticBuffer inside user program data blocks.

Thank you in advance

Hey people,

I have been using GET_NAME , GET_IM_DATA and ModuleStatus
FB to get an info from Modules inside my program, but ever since and always whenever I got problem with CPU/MODULE or whenever there is red light on CPU my first step is to under
"Online&Diagnostic" -> DiagnosticBuffer. This is a place where I can find out the most of information what has happend or what is still happening.

Is there are any alternative solution to get contest of
DiagnosticBuffer inside user program data blocks.

Thank you in advance

Which PLC are you using?

If you are using a 1500, then the built in system diagnostics can deliver pretty good HW text alarms to a Siemens HMI. The System Diagnostic object on a Comfort Panel might be able to display the diag buffer directly.

If you have a relatively new 1500 (supports FW a couple years old), and need to display that info on a 3rd party HMI, there is a GetAlarm instruction you can use that reads in alarm messages as strings. I can't recall about the diagnostic buffer specifically, but I know it can do system diagnostics messages, et the very least.

It is 1500 and it is new, yeah you are right and I'm using this system diagnostic, but I'm creating diagnostic messages by bools or status integers from the output values of the mentioned function blocks. They are good diagnostic, but my wish is since diagnostic inside diagnostic buffer has been already created by cpu, why not use that one. That's not only reason, main reason is that people inside my company but I'm sure all over the world always seeking to read or check what is it written inside online and diagnostic buffer, would be great option in order to get that messages without using TIA or Simatic. I'm using TP1200 HMI Siemens, all is compatible.

That is the system diagnostics that I mentioned. There are so many different possible error states that a device could report to the PLC that providing a default data structure tracking all of it would be both incredibly difficult to understand and take up a huge chunk of memory.

However, you do have access to the same data that the PLC uses to make all the system diagnostic error messages. See this FAQ. The trick is that the data only exists as the error is first reported (analog card tells the PLC it has detected a short circuit), which triggers an error OB. You can read in all the data the module provides, and make your own determinations as to what is wrong.

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/ww/en/view/109480387

As far as reporting to third party systems, Siemens is going hard in the direction of the PLCs supporting OPC UA. right now they only do data (OPC UA DA), but I'd be shocked if they didn't support alarms and events at some point (OPC UA AE). At that point it's readily accessible by any HMI/SCADA that supports the standard.