Programming Software for 1769-L33ER Allenbradley CPU

It depends...

Short answer...

Either "RSLogix 5000" or "Logix Designer" programming software.

The 1769-L33ER CompactLogix controller is currently available as hardware Series A only. It was included in the first models released for the CompactLogix 5370 L1, L2, L3 family of controllers in 2012. As such, it supports all revision 20 firmware releases and all subsequent revisions up to the latest revision 32 (at time of writing).

The version of programming software required is lock-stepped with the firmware revision loaded and running in the controller. Therefore the version of programming software you require depends on which firmware revision the controller is currently running, or will be running if new and not yet flashed to any usable firmware revision.

Version 20 of the software would be called RSLogix 5000, and would be required if flashing the controller to any revision 20 firmware. Example: RSLogix 5000 v20.05 and firmware revision 20.019.

However, if flashing to firmware revision 21 or higher, then the software changed name to Studio 5000 Logix Designer. It's essentially the same software but was just remarketed at version 21 with the introduction of the Studio 5000 suite. Example using the latest as of today: Logix Designer v32.02 and firmware revision 32.011.

So are you trying to work on an existing, running controller, for which you will require a specific version of programming software?

Or are you working on, or possibly going to be working on a new controller and don't have anything yet? (I'm thinking this might be the case going by your hardware enquiry in your other recent thread?).

If the controller is or will be brand new, then out-of-the-box it is loaded with a simple boot code firmware revision 1.xx. This just allows it to boot up ready to flash to a usable firmware revision. At this point you need to decide which of the supported firmware revisions you want to flash the controller to. This decision can depend on whether you already have a particular version or versions of the programming software. Whether or not you have a TechConnect support contract which entitles you to download any version. Or if none of the above, are you looking to purchase the required programming software, in which case you can select whichever version you wish, such as the latest.

Also, if you are new to using Logix 5000 controller programming software then you may also need to be aware that the software is available at different "Edition" levels which include and exclude certain features, such as support for the higher model controllers (ControlLogix, etc.), or higher level programming language editors (FBD, SFC, STX). If you don't require such support then the like of the "Mini Edition" might suit your needs (supports CompactLogix and Ladder Diagram Editor).

Regards,
George