Hydraulic Fire Prevention

randy

Supporting Member
We are thing about installing temperature sensors in the area of some of our large hydraulic systems These sensors would monitor the temperatures in case of a fire in the area which would then shutdown the hydraulic pumps if it exceeded a set temperature. This would help prevent the hydraulic oil from catching fire. Can these sensors be integrated into the control panel that controls the pumps (PLC). Or do we need a stand along system that is tie to the pump control system?

This there a code and requirements for a fire monitoring system for this application?

rmonroe

What I did for a room with a hot oil heating system for a line of hot platen presses for fire shutdown:

I put 3 UV/IR fire detectors aimed at strategic locations, tied them to a safety relay, with a Reset PB as to not automatically reset.

I tied this safety relay into the loops for existing safety relays in each press, the thermal exchange unit for each press, and the oil boiler. (although the company that made it vehemently denies it is a boiler to try and get around boiler regulations)

The sensors were dual spectrum to avoid false alarms. IR had to sense heat at the same time UV saw radiation from flames. Hasn't gone off accidentally in a couple years.

I used Sense-Ware UV/IR-210/1CZ detectors.

How hot are the pumps getting?

Peter, I don't think the OP is worried about the pumps starting a fire but more worried about pumping hydraulic fluid when the room or some area of the plant is on fire.

We did some work once at a plant that made paint. Every power unit had a set of relays from their fire alarm/suppression system that interrupted the e-stop chain and shut down the motors when tripped.

I don't think they did it themselves. I believe it was a 3rd party company that specialized in fire systems.

Has it happened before? if the fluid is in the pipe then there is no air and is will not catch on fire

I would call someone like SimplexGrinnell and see what recommendations they have

Thanks for you replies.

Yes, its not about the hydraulic oil getting hot, its about shutting down the pump if there is a open fire near the machine. Just an extra safety for fire prevention.

rmonroe

We do this for our injection molding machines. I don't have a manufacturer or part number handy. They were provided by our security company and they have contact outputs. If the temperature gets too high, the contact opens and shuts down the hydraulic pumps. This is purely to stop from pumping hydraulic oil onto a fire. We got a discount from our insurance company for installing them.

interesting
in the old days I ran into a system in a steel mill where they used water as hydraulic fluid one reason was to prevent a fire if it sprung a leek tie would not catch fire.
it was also a huge system central pumps for multiple building / machines
I think they had 6 pumps connected to common header each pump was 600HP 2300 V
they could switch pumps as needed for repairs they were running at 2300 to 2500 psi

interesting
in the old days I ran into a system in a steel mill where they used water as hydraulic fluid one reason was to prevent a fire if it sprung a leek tie would not catch fire.
it was also a huge system central pumps for multiple building / machines
I think they had 6 pumps connected to common header each pump was 600HP 2300 V
they could switch pumps as needed for repairs they were running at 2300 to 2500 psi

The elevators that go up to the second floor of the Eiffel Tower use water hydraulics.