BSL question (Studio 5000)

phuz

I feel like I'm circling back to a very newbie question, but am genuinely curious.
I'm using a BSL on a DINT for a length of 14 bits. For some reason, all of the bits in the DINT are being shifted, not just bits 0-13.
In this instance, it doesn't matter since I am not using the remaining bits, but would like to know why it's not shifting only the length I called out.

Even the BSL instruction help file shows it should only care about the bits from the length.

Last edited:
"I'm circling"...I see what you did there!?!...

Every bit in the array member is shifted. But everything after the Length bit is "invalid". Everything stored or not, in bits 14-31 for your example, are invalid data.

If your array members, such as DINTs, contains more than the data you want to shift, or care about, then you have to design it so the remainder of that member is not used. Move to the next member (DINT, etc.)...

47293 - Studio 5000: Bit Shift Instruction Shifts all Bits in the Array
Access Level: Everyone

56185 - Bit Shift returns an error: BSL, Operand 0: Not array element
Access Level: Everyone

Regards,
George