Micro logic 1000

Patrick420

Hi everyone first day first post. I have a question? Can someone tell me the difference between a micro logic 1000 L10BWA & 1000 BXB? I know the BXB is 24v.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

MicroLogix controllers typically have a three-letter code that tells you their supply power, output type, and input type in addition to the Bulletin Number (1761), the CPU designator (L), and the total number of I/O points (10).

In A-B lingo, "A" is usually 120-240 V AC, and "B" is 24V DC.

For non-solid-state outputs, "W" is all dry-contact relays, and "X" is a mix of FET power transistors and relays.

1761-L10BXB is a 10-point controller with 24V DC supply power, 2 FET transistor outputs, 2 relay outputs, and 6 24V DC inputs.

1761-L10BWB is a 10-point controller with 24V DC supply power, 4 relay outputs, and 6 24V DC inputs.

If you want all the info on all the variants, see the MicroLogix Selection Guide 1761-SG001 manual.

I remember being pretty excited when I saw my first MicroLogix in 1995, because it was so tiny and used an operating system I was already familiar with from the SLC-500s.

Welcome, welcome.

For the MicroLogix 1000, one other interesting(?) detail I always like to point out is the dimensional difference between the AC and DC voltage supply models...

The controllers run internally on 24 VDC, whether supplied with AC or DC voltage. The AC supply models are just provided as a convenience for installation at locations where there is only an AC power supply available, and also possibly no room for both a DC power supply and a DC model controller.

The DC supply models, because they are supplying DC voltage directly to the controller's power supply, are much shallower in depth (40 mm).

The AC supply models, because they must bridge rectify from AC to DC voltage to supply the controller, are much deeper with the added components (73 mm).

It can be a consideration when trying to fit these small controllers into tight spaces where there isn't a DC supply present to facilitate a DC model controller. But, once there is reasonable depth to the enclosure, it is not really an issue.

As a secondary reference to the Selection Guide, the Installation Instructions for the MicroLogix 1000 controllers is also quite useful. It contains these dimensions, along with the "Catalog Number Detail" section, and is also a good quick reference guide for many of the controller model features and specifications, and of course how to fit and wire it...

1761-IN001D-EN-P MicroLogix 1000 Programmable Controllers Installation Instructions

Regards,
George

Last edited: