M258 CANopen to J1939 Sensor

GSNITZ

Hello All! I'm embarking on a new project and have been searching the forums to assist in what is looking to be a rather challenging task.

We are using an TM258LF42DT which has a Sub-DB9 CAN port. The end device is an automotive sensor that supports J1939. The sensor has a heating element which must be turned on/off based on other process conditions. Once the sensor heater is on, the sensor will start providing data.

The task is to establish bi-directional communication with the sensor; we need to be able to send the sensor a command string (to turn-on the heating element), read the data provided in real-time, and when the process is finished send the same command string (to turn-off the heating element).

Looking at the Schneider documentation, it appears the M258 only supports CANopen; a M241 or M251 required for native J1939 support. I've assembled and read through a fair bit of documentation at this point; I've covered the port itself (Hardware Guide), CANopen Configuration (Programming Guide), and SoMachine Templates (Programming Guide). I've also been researching elsewhere to learn about .EDS files, as well as the differences between CANopen / J1939.

I will readily admit I am out of my depth here. At this point I'm hoping to ascertain whether it is even possible to create a custom device template to communicate with the J1939 sensor using the CANopen port, or if I will need a gateway/translator as a go-between? From my other research, it appears that while they share the same physical layer, the two methods use different approaches for the higher level communication layer.

Thanks!

Last edited:
What I've learned in the last few weeks is that CANopen & J1939 cannot perform direct exchange (CANopen device talking directly with J1939 device) due to differences in the communication layer. The information I found during my research was a bit confusing since they can communicate over the same physical network, and in many cases the information was referencing this type of co-mingling of communication layers. At the end of the day, either a protocol converter, or a PLC change is required to implement these sensors.

@Karsten

Thank you for your feedback. That was actually one of the protocol converters I was considering. I decided to go with a PLC change (M241) instead of a protocol converter. It has been very easy to configure the J1939 parameters with the M241.