GE Profinet DCP Scan Tool can't get responses from Rx3i PNS001 modules

2Faced

Hello,

I have a question regarding the profinet setup would like to ask the experts in this forum. I'm trying to set up the names and IP addresses for the GE Rx3i PNS001 Profinet modules using the Profinet DCP Tool included in the Proficy ME 9.5 installation package. The IP address and subnet mask all set on my laptop, cat5 ethernet cable connected between the laptop and one of the ethernet ports of the PNS001 module.

1. Run Proficy ME as administrator, open the Profinet DCP tool from Utilities tab in Proficy ME, select the local network adapter and refresh device list -> I got this notification: "DCP discovery request sent, but no responses received". The DCP tool screen shows nothing.
2. Run the DCP Tool as administrator from Start Menu -> Proficy -> Profinet DCP Scan Tool -> got the same notification.
3. Use ARP table to set up IP address based on the MAC address of the module -> can't set.
4. Add exception rules for Proficy ME and Profinet DCP Tool to the Windows Firewall -> still can't make the tool to discover the module.

My laptop is running with Windows 7, Proficy ME 9.5 SIM 9. Can anyone please provide any suggestions ? Thank you and Regards.

IS your PC Ethernet cable connected to the same Lan as Profinet?
Is your Profinet cable also plugged into the correct Profinet port on PNS001?
What other devices are on your Profinet Lan?
Did you also try the "Start>Proficy>Machine Edition>Profinet DCP Scan Tool"

What CPU are you using? I am assuming it is a standalone CPU with a Profinet Controller built in, because the PSN001 is a Scanner.
If you have CPU in rack then you need PNC001 controller.

From manuals for PNS001 and PNC001.

"The PACSystems* RX3i PROFINET Scanner module, IC695PNS001 or PNS001, connects a remote universal RX3i I/O rack of Series 90-30 or RX3i modules to a PROFINET I/O Controller. The PROFINET Scanner scans the modules in its rack, retrieving input data and providing output data, and exchanges that data on the PROFINET I/O LAN at the configured production rate."

"The PACSystems* RX3i PROFINET Controller module, IC695PNC001 or PNC001, connects a PACSystems RX3i controller to a high-speed PROFINET local area network. It enables the RX3i controller to communicate with I/O devices on the LAN."

Last edited:
If you are plugged in and all Ethernet parameters IP address, subnet are correct and pointing to the correct LAN it may just be antivirus or firewall block. If I have Symantec Endpoint network scanner installed it will not show any Profinet LAN no matter what settings or how I add to the firewall. I had to uninstall Symantec and chose custom install and exclude Network part of the program for it to work.. I haven't had a problem since this was with Windows 7 and Proficy Version 9.00. Try uninstalling all antivirus network scan and disable firewall and try it. It is something worth looking at.. Regards..

@sjohnson: yes it might be the firewall, I used another laptop without a firewall and the communication went through pretty well. Unfortunately I can't disable on my laptop as it is of the company :(
@netnathan: everything you mentioned was done without any luck. I was trying to set the names and IP addresses of the PNS modules so the CPU type shouldn't be an issue.
Thanks.

@sjohnson: yes it might be the firewall, I used another laptop without a firewall and the communication went through pretty well. Unfortunately I can't disable on my laptop as it is of the company :(
@netnathan: everything you mentioned was done without any luck. I was trying to set the names and IP addresses of the PNS modules so the CPU type shouldn't be an issue.
Thanks.

So....if you have CPU in rack, then you have PNSC001 and not PNS001.
That is why I asked about CPU.

Greetings . I need help to configure the controller module for the rxi3 pacsystem ... I am trying to establish a data intercourse communication with plc S7-1200 .. I would greatly appreciate your comment