PanelView Component Remote Screen Control

YELMRAP

I currently have an application using PVC and ML1400. I'm controlling the screen(s) to be displayed with the plc logic via the Global Connection Tag "Current Screen Number" which is working fine. My issue is selecting a "goto" button on the screen in runtime I receive a message that the screens are controlled remotely. Is there a way to have control locally and remotely?

Thanks in advance.

When the value of the Remote Screen Control tag is zero, then navigation is left to buttons on the screen itself.

If you want both the PLC and the operator to be able to navigate between screens, you're going to have to replace navigation buttons with buttons that write to the Remote Screen Control tag.

If you want both the PLC and the operator to be able to navigate between screens, you're going to have to replace navigation buttons with buttons that write to the Remote Screen Control tag.

Is this different behavior than the PV standard?

What I mean is, when I wanted to have both local and remote control, in the PLC, I would compare the control tag to the status tag, and when equal, I would clear the control tag.

So in the PV+ can you do the same thing? Instead of writing to the control tag with buttons, can't you just add a line of PLC code to zero the control tag thereby returning local control to "normal" navigation buttons?

Very simply......by replacing buttons to control remote screen control is unnecessary. After you remotely call a screen from the PLC return the remote screen control tag to zero. I use this all the time and its very robust.

Basically i use one rung of logic........

If RemoteDisplayScreen NOT EQUAL to 0;
then wait 500ms and SET RemoteDisplayScreen to 0.

I use a slight variation of agrosse's method. Use one-shot to load RemoteDisplayNumber. When ReplaceDisplayNumber = RemoteDisplayNumber, move 0 to RemoteDisplayNumber. This returns control to the PV as soon as the screen is switched.

+1 for Adam's method. This works even if there is some interruption in the comms and doesn't penalize you if there isn't. After Ken's post, I was unsure if this method still works in the PV+.

EDIT: Now I just realized the OP is talking about the PanelView Component, not the Compact...so I am barking up an unknown shrub again.

Last edited:
I am trying to do this very thing. But im stuck on the to system tags used in the descriptions above. ReplaceDisplayNumber = RemoteDisplayNumber
The one i found in CCW is "Current Screen Number" and i can change the screen from the rslogix 500 program but then i get the error "2053: Screen Switching controlled by external source" displayed on the screen.
im not sure which tag to write to, to get control back to the buttons.