Siemens File

janner_10

Lifetime Supporting Member
We got sent these files from a customer, see the image.

Not speaking Siemens very fluently, what do we do with them and what opens them?

TIA

35a9o5g.png

I have a machine running Siemens . . .
One of the files in the 'project' is of type '.S7S'. (Like your S7_Job.S7S.)
So I would suggest Siemens Step 7. (Or is it Simatic Step 7?)

Google looks like "By employing STEP 7 Basis you can program the SIMATIC S7-300, S7-400, "

Any chance this is actually something that communicates with a Step-7 PLC?

Poet.

Thanks for the reply - Step 7 or any version of TIA doesn't want to know.

My thought was it is a copy of an MMC, which you can load to the PLC, but I don't know if you can restore from. Maybe wrong though.

It's a cheap Chinese machine he bought which doesn't work and has turned to us for help with, I'm giving it an hour of my time then it's a 'I'm Out'

From the manual...

https://cache.industry.siemens.com/dl/files/152/109751152/att_931622/v1/simatic_automationtooluserguide_V3_1_201710_en-US_en-US.pdf

STEP 7 saves a SIMATIC.S7S folder on your SIMATIC memory card that contains your CPU
project. You can also copy the STEP 7 project to the memory card by dragging the project to
the memory card in the project tree.

After the TIA portal transfers program data to a storage device, you can use Windows file
Explorer to transfer the program to the folder that is used by the SIMATIC Automation Tool.

Also...

TIA portal program data
The program data is protected. You cannot discover details like the project name or target
CPU of a TIA portal program from the data that is stored in a SIMATIC.S7S folder. You
cannot identify one program's SIMATIC.S7S folder from another program's SIMATIC.S7S
folder.
You must create and name subfolders under the SIMATIC Automation Tool program update
folder (Page 102) that identify a program's function or target CPU. Copy a program's
SIMATIC.S7S folder into the subfolder that you named. The subfolder names that you create
appear in the SIMATIC Automation Tool "Program" column drop-down list and provide the
path to the correct SIMATIC.S7S folder.

Looks like an S7 classic archive file.

Is it all contained in a zip? If so, try the de archiving function within Siemens classic.