Click PLC as a basic trainer?

deshNL

Hi all,

First time posting. I'm an new journeyman electrician from Canada trying to move to the industrial side of things. I have so far written a few PLC programs by enrolling in some online courses through Udemy. However this is through RSLogix 500, and buying an actual AB PLC seems very cost prohibitive at the moment. I recently ordered a bottom of the barrel Click PLC from Automation Direct, and for another $20 I bought an enclosure, some pushbuttons, switches, and pilot lights on EBay. I don't see myself solely programming PLCs for a living but I would like to get into building my own panels and troubleshooting them from a maintenance perspective.

The Click software is kind of similar to RSLogix in that they both use ladder, but AB dominates the industry. Would I be at a disadvantage to using a Click to build a small panel with or would I be better returning it and wait for a Micrologix to come down in price? The cheapest Micrologix 1100 on EBay right now ranges from $250-$500. We really get hosed here.

Another question is that I've seen some trainers come with built in faults, which are switches that put the PLC into fault mode. Can such a thing be done with a basic Click?

Clicks are great for small applications, but you are correct on AB being an industry leader. It would be well worth your time and effort focusing on that. Also Logix500 is a great platform and you can get 5/03’s on EBay for around 150$ and the chassis and power supply cheap. But I would spend my time focusing on Logix5000, you can get an L32 for 300$ or an old Flex for 150$.

Now the software is the biggest hurdle, but there are ways around the licensing issues. Each offers a 7 day grace period, and it is extremely easy to reset the grace periods. Personally, I feel that if this is for education, there is nothing wrong with that.

deshNL
Hi, and welcome to the forum. I lived in Canada a couple of years ago, and I got a 442-A Inter-provincial Red Seal electrical journeypersons license, so good luck. Quite an interesting test.
As far as A-B software, many of the pros on here have mentioned to go to your local supplier (A-B supplier, that is) and explain to them what you're doing, trying to learn and that this software is for educational purposes. Many have said that some suppliers will give substantial discounts to folks doing this. Hope this helps and I wish you the best.

In a perfect world selecting what you could afford for your trainer should not put you at disadvantage. The initiative shown by purchasing and wiring your own trainer should count for more than the brand you chose.
In the world we actually live in, there are shortsighted gatekeepers who won't pass your resume on to the next level if you haven't checked off all the right items. If all the potential employers in your area use third-party screeners to pare down the number of candidates invited to interview, your best bet is to make sure you can answer "yes" to all of qualification criteria. If you are trying to become qualified for promotion at your current employer, you have a better chance of telling your side of the story to a person who actually understands the job requirements.

A good start for learning AB on the cheap is to download the RS Logix Micro Starter Lite version which is free and the free version of emulate 500 which is a software PLC that will run on your computer.

You can also download Connected Components Workbench or CCW as most people call it by using the link below. This is used to program the Micrologix 800 series controllers which are the newest generation of Micrologix and it has a built-in emulator so no need to buy hardware but you can program the Micro 800 units with the free version of CCW if you want to purchase that hardware later.

Another helpful thing in CCW is that it has a Logix 5000 theme so you can design code for the Micro 800 in the standard IEC editor or use the familiar RS Logix 5000 / Studio 5000 design environment by using the Logix theme.

It's not 100% like logix but I will do a lot of the features (look and feel) and it's free to get started with.

https://www.rockwellautomation.com/...1&pagetitle=Design-and-Configuration-Software

Dear Desh,
I second keeping the Click.
It, and the hardware you bought, gives you the opportunity to
wire up actual working circuitry and see what happens when
a physical input or output is not working. (Or not working as
expected.)

The CCW (with emulator) allows you to study the Allen Bradley stuff.

The ability to work around both the hardware and software side
of things is what makes PLC's such fascinating beasts.
Poet.

The Click is a good little PLC. Here is some information to help you out with learning.
https://accautomation.ca/series/click-plc/
The Productivity 1000 is similar in price to the Click but will give you some tag-based programming.
https://accautomation.ca/series/productivity-1000-plc/

Regards,

I've been watching your videos on YouTube....very informative. Maybe when I get all the parts for my trainer you could give me some pointers on setting things up?

I bought the Click without ethernet....didn't think I needed it but now I wish I had. I heard that the two RS-232 ports on the basic Click are not isolated from one another. What affect will this have on data transfer?

I bought the Click without ethernet....didn't think I needed it but now I wish I had. I heard that the two RS-232 ports on the basic Click are not isolated from one another. What affect will this have on data transfer?

I have a few Clicks in service and no problems so far (except for one that got zapped by lightning). I can't imagine there being any negative effect on the data transfer due to the fact that the serial ports share a common ground. Serial Port 1 is fixed as a Modbus slave Node Address 1, 38.4k baud, intended for use with Click software. The 2nd port is configurable.

I like this RS232 to USB converter above all others (but I keep two or three different brands around, because it has paid off with oddball devices):

https://www.plccable.com/usb-to-rs232-plc-programming-cable-special-plctalk-net/

I use it with dozens of different serial devices and with the Click you can use this cable:

https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...dular_plc)/programming_sw_-a-_cables/d2-dscbl

Which is also good for the DirectLogic DL series and several other models.

I agree that keeping the Click and practicing with it is useful. Allen Bradley experience is more likely to get you into more job opportunities but knowing at least a little bit about how others do things is always useful. You will never stop learning in this field and that is one of the best aspects of it.

asmaint2, thanks for the link, and Siemens is maybe easier than AB, with the manual near 15,000 pages!, that would make my printer put some smoke out it.

PLCNovice61 > with the manual near 15,000 pages!, that would make my printer put some smoke out it.

Which is why I like reading the manuals on the computer.
And, being on the computer I can usually use the computer
to search for the error code (or whatever subject) I feel
the need to learn more about.

Poet.

I've been watching your videos on YouTube....very informative. Maybe when I get all the parts for my trainer you could give me some pointers on setting things up?

Sure, I can give you some pointers. Send me an Email with any questions.

I have not had any issues with the two RS232 ports on the basic click.
The Ethernet Click PLC is a quicker processor. This also has High-Speed Counter inputs.
https://accautomation.ca/click-plc-high-speed-counting-part-1/
https://accautomation.ca/click-plc-high-speed-counting-part-2/

Regards,