Yaskawa Sigma 5 Analog torque reference from RS422 ?

Ken Roach

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
This is a little OT but I'm looking for anyone with experience with the Yaskawa Sigma 5 servo drives. We've had some servo drive and motor failures and are trying to choose a replacement.

We've got several 2006-era servos in service that were called "XtraDrive"; they were a version of the Yaskawa Sigma II build/sold by the YET joint venture. 480V 3-phase, 1.5 kw, so they're pretty small.

These get a torque reference over an RS-422 daisy-chain from a Prosoft MVI56-MCM module in an SLC-5/05 control system.

For a replacement, Yaskawa recommended a SGDV-5R4D01A drive, which is an Analog-reference model. It does have a CN10 connector for connection over serial to a display module or SigmaWin+ software, which is how we've sent serial commands before.

Does anyone know if the Sigma 5 Analog servodrives can accept their torque reference over the serial connection, or if it literally has to be a 0-10V signal ?

I'm reading application notes and considering other drives, too, including Kinetix 300 and Yaskawa Sigma5 MP2600IEC. But I figured I'd ask.

In this case, there is no physical input for the Analog torque reference. The existing program sends an ASCII command to the XtraDrive to set the torque reference.

I suppose my question could be simplified to "which modern 480V Yaskawa servo drives support serial commands, instead of EtherCAT or Mechatrolink-III or EtherNet/IP ?"

Time to get back to reading manuals.

It's a pity it's a SLC, as I'm sure you know already, there is an AOP package for the E/IP drives. My Yaskawa distributor rep is calling in Thursday next week, if you have no luck by then I will ask him your query. I had phoned Yaskawa HQ and stated a query for my project, and the response from the receptionist was "I don't even know who you would speak to regarding that"... so got the local rep in, and what Yaskawa were proposing back I knew wasn't what I wanted so he kept at them for about a week until I got the right part numbers.

Thanks for the input, guys !

I've read a bunch of manuals and only found hints that I might be able to emulate the SigmaWin+ or keypad protocol, and nothing to suggest it's similar to the old XtraDrive or Flexible ServoPack variants that are actually on the machine now. And the protocol manuals are themselves only rumors.

The risk that I would find a compatibility problem if I tried to use the SLC-5/05's to connect directly over Ethernet to the MP2600iec controllers is also high.

So I've made the choice to go with what you are describing: Yaskawa calls them "Sigma Logic"; the versions of the Sigma 5 controller that are designed to integrate with ControlLogix using AOI's.

We've actually used those on a couple of other machines because they run a specific hollow-core Yaskawa servo motor, so I have one colleague who has some basic experience with them.

I'm going to install a CompactLogix in the cabinet specifically to run these eight servos. I'm 100% sure that the CompactLogix can message to this SLC-5/05 (it has OS501 Series C FRN 9), so the integration will be as clean as possible.

Good to hear, yes, the "Sigma Logic", but they're only available on the US market! So for me, my rep has advised that I can take an IEC and flash the firmware to "make it in to" a sigma logic.

Everything is sitting in my office ready to wire up, I like the fact you don't need an -ERM versionCPX - my project is 8 servo's too, I've went for a single 5069-L306ER, one port dedicated for SCADA traffic and the other a DLR using ETAP's, for the drives (and 4 x AENTR each with 2 x IB8, 2x OB8).

If you want me to test anything ahead of your hardware arriving, let me know.

base on manual user the XtraDrive using XtraWare for Internal programming using modbus Ascii

if possible to upload the program to know what process application their using.

just read the sigmalogic using 100VAC and 200VAC.

xtraware_1.JPG xtraware_2.JPG xtraware_3.JPG

Thanks for those screenshots, Osmanmom. I'm fairly familiar with the XtraDrive ASCII command set, as I worked on this machine system in 2012.

The problem is that the XtraDrives and their related Flexible ServoPack have been obsolete for about ten years, and the current generations of Yaskawa controllers do not appear to support the same ASCII protocol.

I was concerned about the Sigma Logic not being available outside the USA, and will bring up the field modification of the MP2600iec controller module with my rep to be sure we're not voiding the warranty on Day 1.

Thanks again !