Siemens S7-1200

Jonnie_R

I am moving my choice of PLCs to Siemens, and had a question for the Siemens experts.

What is the point of the 1215 model with dual ports if you cannot assign two separate IP addresses? Or can you, I've looked in TIA Portal and can't see anymore than one to set in the properties.

Just trying to compare a recent project with a PLC which had dual ports to see how I'd do it using Siemens as there may be another similar project to do.

I think the standard Siemens hardware accepts 1 industrial ethernet conmection but the idea of 2 ports is that it can function like a switch (plus you can configure in star or ring topology).

That's what I thought from Reading the manual, just seems like a waste. Would be nice to have it able to talk to two different subnet ranges without having extra hardware.

I dont know about the 1200 range...but with the 300 family you can purchase a 343 LEAN card which can give you another ProfiNET network if required. Or if you got lots of momey there is the advanced module.

That's what I thought from Reading the manual, just seems like a waste. Would be nice to have it able to talk to two different subnet ranges without having extra hardware.

The point of the built in 2 port switch is so that you can connect to 2 devices at once without needing a switch. This is common in almost all the Siemens automation HW.

Some of the larger 1500s have two different interfaces built in, but otherwise you need comm cards.

I know you can get a com port for the 1500 range at £1300 ish.

Nothing exists for the 1200 range as far as I can tell.

I think the standard Siemens hardware accepts 1 industrial ethernet conmection but the idea of 2 ports is that it can function like a switch (plus you can configure in star or ring topology).
SIE ProfiNet controllers also support Media Redundancy Protocol, for networks requiring high availability. This requires a ring topology.

You can use the TIA Selection Tool to find hardware instead of loading Portal. There is an online version and a downloadable version. https://w3.siemens.com/mcms/topics/en/simatic/tia-selection-tool/Pages/tab.aspx

Just wondering why there is not many manufacturers who give an option of multiple IP addresses for the same physical port. IMO, it would be a great feature in a modern networked system.

I don't know. Isn't it would be just the software to develop, without any work on the hardware end?

The security would be of course up to the end user.

To be fair, software costs just as much to develop as HW. The difference is that if you're lucky, you can just roll it out as an update.

It's generally considered terrible network practice to have multiple IP addresses, but it is hypothetically possible. As an example, you can do it in Windows, buried in the advanced settings somewhere.

From our perspective, IP addresses mostly seem like arbitrary divisions that keep devices from talking to each other. From the IT perspective, the whole point of IP addresses is to allow you to split your network into subnets (sub networks). Each device can talk to the other devices on the local network, but when it wants to talk to a device outside the local network, it sends the data to the router, to figure out how to get the data where it needs to end up. Each router has a map of the other routers it is connected to, and what subnets each of them know how to talk to.

If a device uses two IP addresses simultaneously, then it means that you just connected those networks directly.

There are a variety of reasons that IT guys want to keep networks separated. Security is the most obvious of those reasons, but there are also network design concerns where bigger networks end up having more bandwidth wasted for broadcasts. It also increases the risk that a broadcast storm could take out more devices.

I worked on a project a ways back where a device had two IP addresses at the same port (I think it was a robot). One IP to talk to an upper level system via the plant network, one IP to talk to IO. We had to spend about a ton in networking HW, with much more complicated configurations than usual, to keep the IO traffic separate from the plant traffic. It would have been so much simpler and cheaper if it had a comm card we could have used, or if it had one IP address and we put a NAT router in place for the plant comms.