How to setup S7-300 I-Device config

Peter Quiring

I'm trying to setup two S7-319 CPUs to communicate over profinet (currently using Profibus) which are both in the same project.

I watched a youtube video showing the steps.

In the slave CPU I set it to I-Device mode and setup input/output lengths.
Then generate the GSD file.

In the master CPU the newly created GSD device is added.

After I loaded both hardware configs it didn't work and I get bus faults.

I noticed that Step7 adds a "-1" to the end of the device name when added to the master CPU.

In Step7 under PLC->Verify names... the name of the slave CPU does not match because of the "-1" added.

If I try to remove the "-1" in the master CPU device then STEP7 warns that another device already has that name.

If I ignore that I load the config the slave CPU has major issues and the HMIs wouldn't talk to it anymore (over profibus). So I had to undo the changes. o_O

Any ideas why?

I am using Step7, not TIA portal.

Thanks.

Removing the -1 in my test I see the dialog "There is already a module... Is the device <x> physically installed on the same hardware device as the controller?"

Saying yes allows the name to change.
I notice when I go back to the slave's HW config and poke around in the ProfiNet controller properties it gives the same prompt. This would indicate something in the HW config changes when I press 'Yes'. Have you redownloaded the slave's HW image after confirming this dialog in its own HW config?

Edit: I missed the bit about PBus communication failure. Thinking...

Last edited:
Minus two points to me for not reading the dialog.

Regarding the question "Is the device <x> physically installed on the same hardware device as the controller?" - saying yes may mean the slave is physically attached to the master, rather than being a separate device. Try putting the controllers in separate projects.

Do you need to do this with profibus/net master/slave/device?

If you are going to use profinet anyway, I would recommend put/get over ethernet.

The i-device itself cannot be in the same project as the master. Your i-device hardware config, and program are in one project, and your master hardware and program are in another project, with the GSD brought in.

PS: that goes for STEP 7 V5.x and TIA Portal versions... and yes, it is annoying.

Last edited:
In the project I just finished, I had 2 s7-1200F plcs in the same project, with one set up as an I-device.

I followed these manuals to get started:

https://support.industry.siemens.co...the-profinet-i-device-function?dti=0&lc=en-WW

(No GSD file is required when they are in the same project)

----
Configuration options

Basically, there are two possibilities for configuration:
1. Configuring an I-Device within a project.
2. Configuring an I-Device that is used in another project or in another
engineering system.

When configuring an I-Device for another project or for another engineering
system, STEP 7 enables you to do this by exporting a configured I-Device in a GSD file. The GSD file can be imported in the other project or the other
engineering system like other GSD files. This allows not only for communication within the project, but also communication across projects and data exchange between different manufacturers in a tried and tested way.

@lanman - I've read that siemens pdf before but it applies mostly to TIA portal.

I'm still not understanding how to setup I-Device with CPUs in the same project.

I guess the GSD file is not needed since it's in the same project???

In the siemens pdf it shows an option called "Assigned IO controller" which I assume is assigning a master to the slave I-Device. But that is for TIA portal, I don't see this option in Step7 though.

Thanks,

In TIA portal this setup is easy to do, unfortunately I've never been able to import our step7 projects into TIA (get too many errors) and Siemens doesn't recommend that anyways.

In step7 there is something called PLC Profinet Topology. There may be something in there to connect master IO controller to I-Device slave but still haven't figured it out.

Thanks,

Can you archive and upload your projects?

Here is one site you can use to upload and post the link:

https://uploadfiles.io/

It looks like in STEP 7 V5.x, you have no choice but to have the 2 CPU 319s in separate projects. The exported GSD of the i-device from the slave project is inserted in the HW Config of the controller CPU in the master project. The Ethernet Subnet ID of both projects must match! One project must contain the master/IO-Controller PLC, and the other project the slave/i-device PLC.

I don't think it's a good idea to upload project on internet.

But I will try to split the project up into different projects. There are 4 CPUs in total in the project so that means 4 projects.

I've asked for help from our Siemens rep. They should know.

I'll post answer once I get it.

Thanks,

Yes, just spoke to Siemens rep and with Step7 the CPUs need to be in different projects. He said there is a way to do it in the same project but it's problematic.

I need to find a way to migrate to TIA.

Thanks,

There is this Siemens FAQ pertaining to setting up an IO Controller and an I-device in the same STEP7 Classic project (not TIA !):
What should you watch out for when you configure the I device and the higher-level IO controller in the same STEP 7 project?

I have such a setup in STEP7 Classic for several projects.

edit: It is not described in the FAQ, but if you manage to set it up correctly, and open the project in NetPro, you will see the CPU that is an I-device twice (!).
As a regular CPU, and as an IO Device.
Funky, but that is how it is.

Also, you do not necesarily have to set up topology. Get it to work first without topology.

Last edited: