A Prox ?

RDay

Hey guys,
Some time ago I saw an advertisment for a prox that could be used on a rotary table that didn't require the use of a slip ring. It consisted of a prox that was conected to a transmitter/reciever that was positioned on one side of the gap, on the otherside was also a trans/reciver that supplied power to the prox and provided the signal conection. I have searched for the ad but I cant find it anywhere. Maybe I just dreamed it? :unsure: If anyone knows who makes these please let me know.
Thanks.

Keep dreaming...

I don't know that you'll find anything 'powered', but Omron's F92A inductive coupler might be what you're talking about. It will transmit switch closures across a gap. They've been out for a while, but I've yet to try them. Cool idea... :cool:

HERE'S a direct link to the item. If that link doesn't work, just go to OMRON and search for "F92A".

beerchug

-Eric

We use the baluff ones on a new pallet welder that is
kinda still in inagration in our plant.

Us techs have had many talks about them and how they
can send a direct current through the air.

They can operate up to 8 proxes sink or source and have
adaptors to do logic such as and,or,xor VERY COOL!

I heard they (1 transmitter and 1 reciever) are
US $1500 :eek:

I'll try to get a copy of the data sheet and post it
tomorrow.

Well I'll de darned...

All I can say is WOW!... :eek:

We do a lot of rotary tables, and I go through great lengths to avoid needing sensors on the rotating postion. These will make my life a whole lot easier!... :D

Thanks for the link Rick!... :cool:

beerchug

-Eric

Here is the users guide for the ones that
are in use at our plant, they are the 9012 models.

Sorry, but scratch the part about the logic adaptors.

Here is one more post (hopefully interesting) for those
who deal with large tables:

On some of our machines we used to put rotary connectors
from Mercotac ( http://www.mercotac.com/ ).
Since we had to use tons of I/O on the table itself,
we simply added second cabinet with PLC, 24VDC power supply etc
on the table itself.

One Mercotac unit with 8 contacts was used per table to
transfer both communication signals and AC power.

Interesting thing is Mercotac operating principle:
It uses liquid connections (mercury) instead of clasic
slip rings with brushes.

This means that fixed and moving parts are always
in contact avoiding arcing and electrical noise.
Mercotac guarantees perfect signal up to 100MHz and
currect capacity of each terminal is 25-35Amp.

Last time we talked to them, they promissed to make
hollow connectors as well (we used hollow air coupling
to avoid overhead connections).

panic mode

I agree Panic. I have used 2-circuit Mercotac units in the past... I'm not a big fan of 'stak-on' terminals, but besides that, they're the best rotary connectors out there! (IMHO of course)... (y)

beerchug

-Eric

I have used the Balluff and it worked very well. The only problem that I ran into was that you can't exceed the total amps for the remote, which may limit the style of sensor that you can use.