Logix 5000 install problem

smiller

Hello all:
I have a demo disk of RS Logix 5000 that I installed and played around with about a year ago. I just tried to install it again to try and get familiar with it more. I keep getting an "Error 1393 Internal error, file set deactivated" before the install is complete. Is this a time bomb thing from AB or is there any way to get around it? The demo is version 8.02. My AB rep is going to send me a new demo disk but I have some free time now that I would like to use playing with 5000.

Thanks.

Steve

Very likely the 8.02 demo expired on February 28, 2004. That's when all the internal Rockwell demo activations expired too (I know, I was at work at midnight when it happened !).

Version 12 is available on a demo CD as well... you'll like it better than 8.02.

Revisit this thread: Rslogix5000 v.8

Greetings Everyone! I'm re-opening this thread. I am trying to install version 8.52 which is available from here: http://www.software.rockwell.com/support/download/detail.cfm?ID=3748
or here: http://www.software.rockwell.com/support/download/result.cfm?product=15
I get the error: "ERROR1393 File set was deactivated" I did not find anything on Google yet, except this thread.

I tried 2 different computers, both with XP PRO SPIII. I get the error on both of them at 47%. I even tried with my clock set to 10.30.2001 ... same error.

Why do I need it you ask? I have a client with a Control Logic 5000 system from 2001 written in RSLOGIX5000 V.8.20. I have the back up code from the OEM. I cannot go online with the processor, except for the errors window, and the software tells me because the firmware is old: v.8.2. I have version 10 through 20 available. I tried older versions and it wants 8.20 so I thought well all I can find is 8.52

OPEN FOR IDEAS.

I saved the OEM archive with a newer version. If we lose the existing CPU we can upgrade to that, BUT... I NEED TO COMPARE what is in the CPU with the OEM ARCHIVE. The client is not down yet... (this started with a dead PANELVIEW 1000 which I was able to upload, even though the screen is totally dark) ... we want to be ready to replace the CPU or any module on the rack, and also be able to perform online diagnostics with my laptop. I'd love to have the older versions on the same laptop as v10-20, but I'm not sure it is do-able, so I am trying to install to another laptop.

Gah, I can't believe that old archive is still online. That stuff should have been pulled off literally decades ago.

RSLogix 5000 8.52 was probably a special Redundancy release. 8.02 was the standard release.

My recommendation would be to try a Windows 98 or Windows NT virtual machine if you can. All that old software was floppy-disk activated only.

RA Tech Support might be able to get you hooked up with a legitimate copy of version 8.02.

Gah, I can't believe that old archive is still online. That stuff should have been pulled off literally decades ago.

RSLogix 5000 8.52 was probably a special Redundancy release. 8.02 was the standard release.

My recommendation would be to try a Windows 98 or Windows NT virtual machine if you can. All that old software was floppy-disk activated only.

RA Tech Support might be able to get you hooked up with a legitimate copy of version 8.02.
Thanks for the reply... NO,NO,NO... NEVER DELETE OLD THREADS! I still work on DOS systems, I need the OLD information :eek: (y)

I'm still searching... I would think it would run on XP.

Software Versions and Firmware Revisions - Revisited...

OK, here we go again... :)

What is so special about RSLogix v8.52?

Not only is it a Redundancy Release, but it was the first...

RSLogix 5000 version 8.x was released at:

v8.52.00 (Redundancy v8 Support Added)
v8.02.00 (Minor UDT Bug Fix)
v8.00.00 (Mainly Tag Handing Enhancements)

RSLogix 5000 v8.00.00 & v8.02.00 were released before ControlLogix Redundancy was first introduced. So they did not support Redundancy. ControlLogix Redundancy v8 was introduced for the Redundant 1756-L55Mxx controllers and version 8 was the first Redundancy release for these controllers.

Software versions and firmware revisions must be at v8.5x/r8.5x or higher to support ControlLogix Redundancy v8.

RSLogix 5000 v8.52.00 was the first software version to support Redundancy and was released in tandem with ControlLogix Redundancy v8.

Controller firmware revisions released at r8 included...

8.051red (First Redundancy Release)
8.009red (Redundancy Release - made available after r8.051)
8.009std (Standard Release)

At the time of its release, the minimum controller firmware revision required to use ControlLogix Redundancy v8 was "r8.051red" and this was also released in tandem with RSLogix 5000 v8.52.00. A later redundancy release was made available at the same revision number as the already in use standard firmware revision r8.009.

Note: When a controller is using "r8.009red" or "r8.051red" it is displayed as "8.90" or "8.51" in RSLogix 5000, dropping the one "0" or two "00". So "8.90" was actually released before "8.51" making it older, even though the number reads as if it is higher and newer. When viewing them in RSLogix 5000, this syntax makes it very difficult for users to decipher what the actual revision number is and which revisions are newer than which.

Software Versions v Firmware Revisions...

Byron said:
...I have a client with a Control Logic 5000 system from 2001 written in RSLOGIX5000 V.8.20...the software tells me because the firmware is old: v.8.2...it wants 8.20...

There is no RSLogix 5000 "V8.20". There is RSLogix 5000 "v8.02.00", but that is not the same.

There is controller firmware revision "r8.002", which is displayed as "8.20" in RSLogix 5000 Controller Properties, or any other dialog in RSLogix 5000 which refers to the controller firmware revision. So this controller appears to be using firmware revision r8.002 (8.20).

Any one of the three versions of RSLogix 5000 at v8 should be able to open and download a v8 project, or upload from a r8.20 controller.

Back to the installation issue...

7045 - Installation: Error 1393 Unknown Internal Error Filesystem was deactivated
Access Level: TechConnect

If you cannot access that Technote - it basically says there is a problem with installing the "RSLogix 5000 Documentation". Try reinstalling only this time deselect the documentation installation option before proceeding.

But...now the whole installation query...

Byron said:
...I'd love to have the older versions on the same laptop as v10-20, but I'm not sure it is do-able, so I am trying to install to another laptop.

On one computer, you can install one major revision each of RSLogix 5000 Enterprise Series v10-v20 and one pre v10 copy of RSLogix 5000.

Example:

RSLogix 5000 Enterprise Series v10 through v20 + RSLogix 5000 v8

Note: Pre v10 releases are referred to as "RSLogix 5000". v10-v20 releases are referred to as "RSLogix 5000 Enterprise Series".

The reason you can only install one copy of pre v10 software is that they were built as an updatable product. So if you had RSLogix 5000 v7 installed and you installed v8 it would upgrade v7 to v8. Both versions could not co-exist on the same computer.

That all changed at v10, and the "fun" began!

So how come v8 cannot co-exist with v7, but it can co-exist with v10-v20?

Because the old and new products are different software builds, an old copy can co-exist with one or more newer copies i.e. installing v10-v20 will not attempt to upgrade an existing pre v10 installation. They are not the same products at the build level.

Also, the pre v10 software opens differently to the v10-v20 software...

v10-v20 - Multiple versions installed:

If you open a v10-v20 copy of RSLogix 5000 Enterprise Series, using its main executable file, it will open at the version last used. If you then open an *.ACD project file of a different installed version, it will automatically load the correct RSLogix 5000 Enterprise Series version.

Pre v10 - One copy installed along with v10-v20:

If you have an installation such as the example above and you have a v10-v20 copy of RSLogix 5000 Enterprise Series open, again, it will load at whatever version was last used. If you then attempt to open a pre v10 *.ACD project file, such as v8, it will not open. You must open the specific "RSLogix 5000" executable file for the v8 installation. This can be found under the "Rockwell Software/RSLogix 5000" folder. You can then open the *.ACD file from within there. Likewise, if you attempt to open a v10-v20 *.ACD file from within v8, it will not open. You must use the RSLogix 5000 Enterprise Series executable.

Alternatively, for all versions, open projects by double-clicking on the *.ACD file itself and it should open the correct software version if it is installed.

You should not have to go another laptop to install RSLogix 5000 v8.52 separate to your newer versions. They can co-exist.

But having said all that...

While the above is possible, they are referring more to the software versions being allowed to exist on the same computer for offline programming. It does not take into account the potential differences in software dependency for communications and security features, etc.

Because RSLogix 5000 v8.52 is so old, it may not be compatible with the software environment you currently have your v10-v20 installations under. While it is supported under Windows XP Pro x86 (32-bit) SP1 or SP2, NOT SP3, there are other considerations to be made...

RSLogix 5000 v8.52 is at Coordinated Product Release 6 (CPR6), so it does not support the newer FactoryTalk Services Platform (FTSP), which was introduced at FTSP v2.10 CPR9. It only supports FTSP's predecessor, FactoryTalk Automation Platform (FTAP), and only FTAP v1.8 CPR6 at the latest.

Also, RSLogix 5000 v8.52 CPR6 will only work with RSLinx Classic v2.43 CPR6 at the latest.

So it is possible that the current software environment is not conducive to a successful installation of v8.52. I would recommend you look at installing and running v8.52 and its compatible friends in a VMware session running under Windows XP Pro SP2.

Then you have the already mentioned Activations to consider. Both RSLogix 5000 v8.52 and RSLinx Classic v2.43 use the older Master Disk Activation method. I would also recommend you contact Rockwell for assistance with that.

Regards
George

P.s. I've attached the splash screen for RSLogix 5000 v8.52, just for nostalgic reasons...

George- THANKS!!! I hope to reply in bits to this post with clear questions. Before I do,
I'm attaching several images to show the failed results with the newer versions- 10 thru 19 I have on one laptop. I can't recall now which version it defaulted to when I attempted the upload.

Today I followed some of your directions and was able to install the v.8.52 (the 8.20 is a reference to the Firmware- see the images) BUT, I ignored the comment regarding LINX. I use 2.52 on that laptop. I actually went online, started uploading from the PLC it got to about 3 progress bar segments then said can't do it. I'll try and upload those screenshots as well. I worked late, so if I don't finish tonight I hope to do so tomorrow.

RSL5K_FW_8.20_REQUEST_001.jpg RSL5K_FW_8.20_REQUEST_002.jpg RSL5K_FW_8.20_REQUEST_003.jpg RSL5K_FW_8.20_REQUEST_004.jpg

I took another old laptop and installed LINX v2.42 and RSL5K v8.52 and will try it the next time I go there. If I understand what you said, then the reason the v8.52 could not finish the upload is the fault of RSLINX V2.59

Thanks a bunch ;-)

Oh and by the way... this one is XP SPII. It is faster than my SPIII's how weird. And it only has 160Mb of RAM, wow. I can't wait to try this on the machine to see if I can upload the code intact from the CPU. (y)

Progress Report and Summary with Questions

Summary:
So, I got this far. What I want to do is:
1. Go online
2. upload and save existing code
3. go online for monitoring and diagnostics of the machine.

Questions: (based on all of the dialog and screen shots so far)
1. Is the firmware v.8.20 the issue? (I am using RSL5K V.8.52.00 and RSLINX V.2.42.00 (Build 18) with a real serial port on XP-PRO SP2)
2. Is the CPU model differences between the offline archive and online code the problem?
3. Is the problem both 1. and 2. above?
4. If I were to save a "test" copy of the offline code and change the CPU model to match the online version, would that make a difference toward solving this problem?

Comments:
I'm doing all of this with the system running. I do not want to shut them down due to production issues.

Last edited: