PowerFlex 525 and Automatic Device Configuration ( ADC )

Cydog

Good Morning ,

Thanks so much for your help before. I had to replace some Powerflex 525's on this project because of faulty displays. ( Rockwell replaced . No charge after purchasing a year ago ) . The ADC function worked beautiful . My question is , if I'm able to get about 2-3 years out of a drive , and need to replace one, and a newer version , maybe 1,2 or 3 ahead is the replacement , will the Automatic Device Configuration still work , or will I get a mismatch ?

Thanks again,

Your system can also be configured to do what's called "Firmware Supervisor" where the Logix processor will look at the firmware version in your VFD and if it is different (and you chose to exercise this option), force the KNOWN WORKING firmware version from its memory into the VFD, meaning that (in most cases) it will put the OLDER firmware into the VFD. That may mean losing some features / changes / bug fixes etc. so you should be aware of that, but what it does for you is to put the machine back in working order and you can decide at a more convenient time if you want to update firmware globally.

Your system can also be configured to do what's called "Firmware Supervisor" where the Logix processor will look at the firmware version in your VFD and if it is different (and you chose to exercise this option), force the KNOWN WORKING firmware version from its memory into the VFD, meaning that (in most cases) it will put the OLDER firmware into the VFD. That may mean losing some features / changes / bug fixes etc. so you should be aware of that, but what it does for you is to put the machine back in working order and you can decide at a more convenient time if you want to update firmware globally.

This setup works well as I have many customers using it. It's the best way to avoid firmware mismatches and the issues those bring.

Also if using Stratix Network Switches you can implement DHCP persistence and the switch will assign the correct IP Address to the new Drive, I/O Adaptor, Overload, Armor Start, etc.

I think it's a good idea and I advise my customers to have a listing of each line broken down by each piece of equipment in the line or cell and then by the cabinet that shows part number, series and current firmware revision of each device. Its good to review this document when making shutdown plans such as many do this time of year and check the compatibility of the different firmware upgrades and the new features and fixes and if it makes sense to flash upgrade those devices and setup you ADC and firmware supervisor on the new revisions

It's a good idea to stay as current of the firmware as you can or up to a rev or two out. I am not a fan of the first-day adoption of new firmware/software either let someone else be the guinea pig.

Staying somewhat current does help with matching new replacement hardware and helps when you need to call support.

Last edited:
PowerFlex 525 ADC Anomaly...

Cydog said:
...need to replace one, and a newer version , maybe 1,2 or 3 ahead is the replacement , will the Automatic Device Configuration still work...

jraef said:
..."Firmware Supervisor"...(in most cases) it will put the OLDER firmware into the VFD...

Phil Buchanan said:
...check the compatibility of the different firmware upgrades...

Hi Folks,

Reading the good advice on what should work "in most cases" and how we should check firmware "compatibility" prompted me to mention something I got caught with a couple of years back using these drives...

There was, and I suppose still might be for some, a specific anomaly that exists when using ADC with PowerFlex 525 drives at firmware revision 3.001:-

Since the beginning (don't be frightened, I'll make this quick!...), at firmware revision 1.xxx, and for subsequent firmware revisions, there has existed a Parameter Group called "AppView". Within this Group existed Groups G1-G9. Incidentally, these are used to create user-defined groups of parameters which can then be selected for display under the CustomView Parameter Group ("GC+++" you might often see when scrolling on display?). However, only Groups G1-G8 were used from the outset and Group G9 was unused and so was reserved for future use. But, it was decided before releasing firmware revision 3.001, that AppView Group G9 would no longer be required and so (maybe they needed the memory space for something else?) they decided to remove it. Because firmware revisions 1.xxx and 2.xxx include G9, and r3.001 does not, this created a firmware incompatibility. Because of this incompatibility, ADC will fail for a replacement revision 3.001 drive where the original drive was r1.xxx or r2.xxx.

Firmware revision 4.001 corrected this anomaly i.e. a newly provisioned r4.001, or later, drive will work with ADC that was originally configured for a r1.xxx or r2.xxx drive.

However, r3.001 is likewise not compatible with r4.001.

Pulling all that together, what, essentially, am I saying?...

If you setup ADC on a r1.xxx drive and replace it with a r1.xxx or r2.xxx drive - ADC will work

If you setup ADC on a r2.xxx drive and replace it with a r1.xxx or r2.xxx drive - ADC will work

If you setup ADC on a r1.xxx or r2.xxx drive and replace it with a r3.001 drive - ADC will fail

If you setup ADC on a r3.001 drive and replace it with a r1.xxx or r2.xxx drive - ADC will fail

If you setup ADC on a r3.001 drive and replace it with a r3.001 drive - ADC will work

If you setup ADC on a r3.xxx drive and replace it with a r4.xxx or later drive - ADC will fail

If you setup ADC on a r4.xxx or later drive and replace it with a r3.xxx drive - ADC will fail

If you setup ADC on a r4.xxx or later drive and replace it with a r4.xxx or later drive - ADC will work

ADC users, that may either be going to purchase or already have spare PowerFlex 525 drives, would be best advised to check whether any of them are firmware revision 3.001, and if so, would they be incompatible with the current ADC configured drives. Of course, most newly purchased stock should be at the latest revision, but there may be older units sitting on supplier's shelves not yet sold. Unless specified by the customer, not all Vendors ensure that purchased equipment is bang up-to-date before shipping out. Then there is always the aftermarket stock to consider.

If users do find they have revision 3.001 drives, and they are of concern to them, then they could consider:-

1. Flashing them to the required application firmware revision

2. Flashing them to a non r3.001 firmware revision

3. Flashing them to the latest firmware revision

Of course, this does defeat the purpose of using ADC in the first place. But, this is an "anomaly", after all, and so unfortunately for some, they may have to mitigate this firmware bump. There are a few definitions out there for an "anomaly", but I do like this one the best...

www.vocabulary.com said:
An anomaly is an abnormality, a blip on the screen of life that doesn’t fit with the rest of the pattern...If you are an Olympian who comes from a family of bookish types who all find it strenuous to walk the dog, you are an anomaly...

You haven't seen my dog!

Regards,
George

Last edited: