Safe-guarding my Allen Bradley software investment.

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've scored a project to upgrade an existing wind/unwind machine, and along with it the full version of Studio 5000, and FTView for Machine Edition.

I think of the money invested on this laptop (I also have Logix500, and various other programs) and I'm starting to get concerned about what I'm going to do if someone steals it, or something damages it beyond repair. I'm not confident that I'm bullet-proof yet.

Just focusing on the Allen Bradley... I have the Studio 5000 on a Windows 7 VM. The license is on the VM, too. I have the VM backed up on an external hard-drive. What are the current rules for AB software licenses? Is that VM going to do me any good if the laptop is lost or stolen? Do they have a way to tie the license to the physical laptop? I know piracy is a huge issue, and I remember hearing techniques Rockwell has to prevent piracy. I just need to figure out how to manage my risk.

Anyone knowledgeable on this topic?

I've had to send laptops for repair while they had licenses on them. If you call Allen Bradley support line, they will gladly reset your license for any reason. It will simply be invalidated on the previous installation. For that reason, I never worry about the license.

The above is true for RSLogix 5000, Studio 5000, FactoryTalk View Studio, etc. They are very responsive and you will get your license back within the phonecall.

Last edited: