Rockwell for sale?

Jim Pinto was wrong the last three times he predicted Rockwell Automation was going to be acquired by a larger competitor.

Maybe if he keeps starting the same rumor it will come true someday.

And there's a huge difference between being an "acquisition target" and "for sale"... What automation company wouldn't want to acquire Rockwell Automation??

I say we (everyone at plctalk.net) start up a collection, then we can buy it :) then we can give Ken that promotion

lol - I'm glad someone else noticed!

It interesting - for as large as our field (the overarching controls and automation) is, we don't seem to have a lot of "analysts". If we do, there aren't many, and they certainly aren't taken too seriously. The closest thing I can come up with besides him are Walt and the other trade mag editors. Am I living in a cave?

Ken Roach said:
Jim Pinto was wrong the last three times he predicted Rockwell Automation was going to be acquired by a larger competitor.

Maybe if he keeps starting the same rumor it will come true someday.

Lead the way Pete - it'll be a hostile takeover!

surferb said:
lol - I'm glad someone else noticed!

It interesting - for as large as our field (the overarching controls and automation) is, we don't seem to have a lot of "analysts". If we do, there aren't many, and they certainly aren't taken too seriously. The closest thing I can come up with besides him are Walt and the other trade mag editors. Am I living in a cave?
You might hang out in the control forums, but you don't read too many financial sites do you :)

Most of the analysts are still rating Rockwell as a hold, which isn't a sell, but isn't a buy either, and I tend to agree with them. I sold mine back at $66 and put it in the steel industry who are still doing quite well.

What financial sites do you frequent? I'm a huge fan of Cramer (crazy mad money guy) and follow stocks individually, but not so much on the industrial side.

TWControls said:
You might hang out in the control forums, but you don't read too many financial sites do you :)

Delta and Rockwell declared a truce many years ago.

surferb said:
Lead the way Pete - it'll be a hostile takeover!
There will be no hostile take over. I think Delta and Rockwell like things the way they are.

However, that doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't buy ROK. The P/E ratio and dividend is much better than what you can get on a savings account at the current price.

TWControls said:
I don't. Their info is old and too old to be useful because every one has beat you to the punch.

Most of the analysts are still rating Rockwell as a hold, which isn't a sell, but isn't a buy either, and I tend to agree with them. I sold mine back at $66 and put it in the steel industry who are still doing quite well.
At $66 it was a sell and you did well. Now is it a buy our sell at $43? Look up the P/E and dividend compared to other tech companies. Next use your knowledge of the PLC industry. Do you think Siemens or others will hurt ROK? If you do you should be investing in those companies. Otherwise pick p ROK $23 than what you sold it for looks like a good deal.

Peter Nachtwey said:
At $66 it was a sell and you did well. Now is it a buy our sell at $43? Look up the P/E and dividend compared to other tech companies. Next use your knowledge of the PLC industry. Do you think Siemens or others will hurt ROK? If you do you should be investing in those companies. Otherwise pick p ROK $23 than what you sold it for looks like a good deal.
First of all, like you said Peter, my knowledge is in PLCs, mainly in the steel and fabrication industry but steering towards the environmental industry, so I'm not in the business of giving sound financial advice and my comments are only my opinions.

But I did use my knowledge of the industry to make my decision. Mainly, I feel Rockwell is a good indication our industry as a whole. I don't care if you call it a recession, an economic downturn, or whatever the latest political buzz word is, I think we could all see the writing on the wall then that industry wasn't growing as much.

One thing I learned from the last time this happened from working at my former employer was that when everyone else was picking up the pace again and getting off the beans and rice, our hours were being cut and they were asking us to use our vacation if we had it. We were the last ones to feel the affects and also the last ones to get out.

But that, along with the fact that the steel industry has just been strong this decade, and the weak dollar is making it a good export seemed to make it a good buy, so I put a large portion of it with my former employer, Steel Dynamics (STLD).

But back to your original question Peter, is Rockwell a good buy at $43.72? Absolutely. Will it be a good buy around November at or below $50? I think so...but I'm PLC guy, how can I know for sure.

But is STLD a better buy at $30.29? I think they will continue to grow through the end of the year, while most others will remain stagnant.

Of course, like I said, I'm a PLC guy. So before some of you get thinking that you can make more money day trading than programming, you should know that I don't personally invest my retirement in the stock market. I had some stock options, others were given to me, and I've put some money into it. While I've done very well in the stock market during these slow times, it's dumb luck and I could loose it all tomorrow. I have a qualified financial adviser invest most of my money for me. My buying and selling stocks are more of just playing around. I use it more to find new markets for TW Controls.

I don't. Their info is old and too old to be useful because every one has beat you to the punch.
I do disagree with this...to a point Peter. I think you should use all tools available to you, especially right now. I could have kept my nose stuck in the steel and fabricating magazines, but would I have ever learned of the waste water industry that way? And if I had never got into the waste water industry, would I have ever got into the lumber industry, the semiconductor industry, or the nuclear industry?

Another company taught me that. They made machines to roll automotive frames. They could have kept hunting for new automotive work, but they hunted outside of their industry, and learned discovered that the storage industry was growing. They soon learned that they could roll shelfing faster than it could be stamped, and now they are almost completely out of the automotive industry.

While I'm sure you don't keep your nose stuck in the Lumber magazines, I think you see my point. It is down right now and I'm sure you feeling the effects at least a little. I see the financial as just another tool to help you think outside the box. You might find that your Delta controllers are suited for manufacturing that new concrete siding...or metering waste water...or who knows.

Based on current trends it is probably a matter of time before Rockwell is bought by a foreign company.

It almost happened in past and will likely happen again. About 6-8 years ago a large European company (with a controls division) flew over with a check in hand to purchase Rockwell. At the last minute the European company changed their mind and decided to go in a different direction. So never say never...