Can a HMI control VFD without a PLC ?

aec

Hi all ,

Is it possible to control a VFD using HMI without a PLC.

And the HMI is Emerson

CTVUE-303L/M/S
3”, 128 x 64, LCD Display
CT_G303-HMIl.jpg

Ethernet (M), RS485, and RS232 (L) port
Outdoor version available (S)
8 x Customizable Function Keys
Compact Flash Slot, 4 Mb Non-Volatile FLASH memory

I could not find anything regarding my question in their manual also the software they provide looks old .

Looking forward for the advice and please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks in advance .

I can't speak for that HMI and your VFD, but yes, it should work as long as the correct drivers are present. For instance, if it is Modbus, the VFD would not know that an HMI is writing to the registers to provide commands instead of a PLC.

Most VFD's brands have remote displays/controls for their VFD's that are IP65 and can be install in a control panel door.

I checked the catalogue, I couldn't see much detail about this HMI model. But I figured one thing that I wont require PLC. But you have to find the matched VFD and software to download in VFD.
However I give you a link to check your self. And call the service agent they might be better to answer your question.

http://www.emersonindustrial.com/en...ntrolTechniques/Brochures/CTA/BRO_OPTIONS.pdf

If you find the solution please get back here reply.

Thanks

From what I remember emerson's Modbus is some what non standard. I think if you look at our regular Dgpass you won't see the drivers. Hence the reason for custom drivers And rebranding.

hello dear

that is not possible because hmi is only device to see monitor parameter and set parameter
if the hmi with plc in built that is possible but vfd is communicate with communication port is compactable with plc and hmi and vfd than is it possible

definatly i will help u in this project
[email protected]

Unidrive sp

hi all thanks for your time and response , so what my boss is asking is, whether this HMI which I have mentioned in the earlier post will be able to control the VFD via UNIDRIVE SP :confused:
which you can find in this pdf file
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=459068

And he says He wants to control like six VFD's each VFD having variable speeds with start and stop operation is it possible ???
He wants to select different speed from the list.
First I told him that without PLC it is not possible, then he said the people form emerson told him that they have done a project where they are controlling directly the VFD from HMI.
Now he is asking me whether it can be done .

Also I have worked with PLC . I have no idea as how to control this drive using a HMI and a unidrive .More over the software which they are providing is free and available in their website but it look different from what I have programmed earlier with delta HMI.

Don't guess, contact the manufacturer's representative.

Yes. I have already asked you to call emerson tech support to find out the detail info about the product, since online pdf has insufficient information.

They may provide you at least a link or send you a manual via email.

I have controlled (started, stopped, wrote a speed reference and read the speed) from and Allen Bradley PowerFlex 40 with an Automation Direct CMore panel. I used the Modbus RTU driver and the RS485 connection on the PF40. I only did this with one drive, but I don't see why you couldn't do it with more drives and a re-branded RedLion screen.