You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old May 15th, 2018, 08:51 PM   #1
rankhornjp
United States

Controllogix Fault

I have a L75 that had a major fault today, it was reset beforei was able to check the fault code. It ran for about 3 hrs and faulted again and i was able to get a pic of the fault message.

Can someone help me decode this?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180515_204945.jpg (67.0 KB, 72 views)
Old May 15th, 2018, 09:55 PM   #2
Bullzi
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

KB 278692 Talks about the Type 1 Code 60 fault.
Basically you processor has detected a major fault and has cleared the Project and user memory.
As for what could cause that, there are many different reasons. I am pretty sure that a program error can not cause the issue. It is either a hardware issue or maybe a power issue. Lets start with the obvious:
Any power spikes?
Can you move the Processor to a different rack and see if the problem follows the processor?
Do you have a spare power supply that you can swap out in the rack to see if that helps?
Try any of these and see if you get any results.
Old May 15th, 2018, 11:43 PM   #3
janner_10
Supporting Member
United Kingdom

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp....l/a_id/1070688

This on also produces the same fault.

Usually a non-recoverable major fault means it has died.But the above list is a good start.
Old May 16th, 2018, 08:14 AM   #4
alive15
United States

I used to get some non-recoverable faults on the PLC and just cycling power on it actually changed it to a recoverable fault. You may be able to get some more life out of it like that, but if it's faulting out like this every 3 hours, then replacing is probably the best option.

Otherwise the other advice given in this thread should help.
Old May 16th, 2018, 08:20 AM   #5
rankhornjp
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullzi View Post
KB 278692 Talks about the Type 1 Code 60 fault.
Basically you processor has detected a major fault and has cleared the Project and user memory.
As for what could cause that, there are many different reasons. I am pretty sure that a program error can not cause the issue. It is either a hardware issue or maybe a power issue. Lets start with the obvious:
Any power spikes?
Can you move the Processor to a different rack and see if the problem follows the processor?
Do you have a spare power supply that you can swap out in the rack to see if that helps?
Try any of these and see if you get any results.
No power spikes reported
I don't have another rack to put it in
We' changed the power supply around 6am. Now we wait...

Thanks for the feedback
Old May 16th, 2018, 10:15 AM   #6
Contr_Conn
United States

Insert SD card and wait for another fault. It will record the data that Techsupport can analyze. I don't remember exactly, but it may write the previous fault info too. Not too much that you can find without it.
It may be also another module in the chassis that causes processor to fail
Old May 16th, 2018, 10:34 AM   #7
rankhornjp
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contr_Conn View Post
Insert SD card and wait for another fault. It will record the data that Techsupport can analyze. I don't remember exactly, but it may write the previous fault info too. Not too much that you can find without it.
It may be also another module in the chassis that causes processor to fail
Tech support has that info, but said it could take up to 48 hrs for them to figure it out. We are still going right now, so hopefully, it was a power supply issue.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum