Navigating Connections/Parameters in modern Allen Bradley Program

edw1983

Does anyone know how to follow a signal through a PLC project, given that the PLC programs are linked together using program parameters?

More specifically, the "Connections" column is filled out on the program's interface table for interconnected signals.

When I follow a signal with the cross-reference function, I get to the 'border' of the program (as I call the program's interface table). There in that editor, I see the row corresponding to the program variable. But the GUI wouldn't let me 'jump' to the linked/connected programs.

Am I missing a handy GUI shortcut?

Some background:

Modern Allen-Bradley controllers make it possible to a PLC project in a structured/object oriented way. One can now use programs as if it were Add-On instructions. Programs can now have their own in, out and inout parameters.

The "Connections" column (which is hidden by default and only enabled on recent Studio/Firmware versions) allows connecting programs together.

Previously controller tags (global variables) had to be created to connect different program together. Not anymore.

Unfortunately the program now becomes slightly harder to follow using the Goto/Cross-Reference function. The cross reference function does not take modern connections into account.

Example:

Consider a digital program output 'Foo' written by program A. It is coupled to a digital program input 'Bar' on program B by means of the "Connections" column in "Parameters and Local Tags".

So the connection is as follows: \A.Foo --> \B.Bar

If you go to the interface table of program A, it will read there in the "Connections" column that output parameter 'Foo' is coupled to \B.Bar.

Very well, but it won't let you jump to the interface table of program B from program A.

It only seems to be able to generate a cross reference for the program you are currently viewing/editing.

If only there was a way to 'jump' to the input B.Bar or at least to its slot in the interface table of program B. Or is there? o_O