STEP 5 & STEP 7

magdyfayad

I worked on different PLC companies as ALLEN -BRADLEY , MOELLER , MITSUBISHI, SCHNIDER , .... etc as either by Ladder or FBD

but I did not work on SIEMENS neither step 5 nor step 7 and
i heard the techenique of the programming languages at both STEP 5 & STEP 7 are different than all another PLC companies

so i want to know what the advantage of step 5 & step 7 than another PLC companies ??

also what is the prgramming languages used at both step 5 & step 7 ??

thanks

STEP 5 - Ladder, CSF and STL. Also Graph 5 if you pay extra.

STEP 7 - Ladder, FBD and STL. Also Graph 7 and ST if you pay extra.

Ladder is the same as most ladder for other PLC's, except you do not have the range of advanced instructions as others.

CSF and FBD are AND and OR gate type graphical instructions, basically the same range of instructions as Ladder, you can have more in series though.

STL is almost machine code, this is where the power of the Siemens PLC is.

Advanced instructions, a lot of the advanced instructions you get with other brands built into the ladder language, you get with Siemens in the form of system blocks, that pre-written code by Siemens. With Step 5 you quite often had to pay for these, with Step 7 they are free and come with the programming package.

You can also build your own to your own special instructions if you desire, using FC/FB's and usually to get the true power programmed in STL.

Graph 5 and Graph 7 are graphset type languages, for sequences, where you have transitions and steps. I have used Graph 5 but never Graph 7. Some companies specify this type of language, in my experience Nuclear and Pharmacutrical.

ST = structured text, this is similar to a basic format.

The most difficult 'switch-over' when first programming Siemens is getting to grasp with STL, once you have managed this you will find Siemens one of the most powerful PLC's on the market.

Most that switch to Siemens, especially from AB, critisise the lack of ladder instructions (especially those instructions they get used to using in their favoured brand of PLC) and the difficulty of programming STL.

Simply Siemens is not AB or any other PLC and once you get over that prejudice and learn how to use it you find it easy and powerful.

Step 7 has added some of the 'missing' instructions, such as one shots.

Siemens is not perfect, but neither are t6he other PLC's.

Some operating advantages of Siemens I have found, the tools are built into the STEP 7 programming language.

No RSLinx equivalent, its not needed.

You can compare programs within STEP 7 you don't need a seperate program to compare and you can compare online/offline. You can go on-line with a program that is not identical with what is in the PLC.

You can build tables to monitor the range of variables you want.

To be fair there could be long lists for and against Siemens when comparing to other PLC's.

It is one of the best on the market though.

thanks both PeterW and L D

but are graph 5 and graph 7 a standered SFC or it espicial language as CFC or what ??
also is graph 5 is typical to graph 7 ?? or there is a difference ???

if i use step 5 or step 7 , i can programm with LAD and FBD why i must use graph 5 and graph 7

thanks again

magdyfayad said:
thanks both PeterW and L D
if i use step 5 or step 7 , i can programm with LAD and FBD why i must use graph 5 and graph 7
You, there's obligation to use Graph5 and/or Graph7, you can use graph if you like, but you'll have to pay for it. Ladder, function block and instruction list come included in the package, the other languages are optional.

Personally, I design a lot of programs with grafcet (or SFC if you like), but I've almost never used Graph5 or Graph7. I simply translate every step to ladder. It's fairly easy.

Kind regards,

thanks jvdcande
i am familier with ladder and FBD but i do not program by SFC , can you help me to learn SFC ??

I know SFC is not a standalone language but it is dependent on anther language as LAD or FBD or IL , i did not how , can you describe it to me ??

can you give me a learn example for SFC as for example the start / stop for a motor , how can you program this start / stop for a motor by SFC or ST

THANKS AGAIN IN ADVANCE

thanks again LD
but i still want to learn how i program by SFC ( not by SIEMENS because step 7 use special language as CFC but i want to learn SFC by for example ALLEN - BRADLET , SCHNIDER...)

and how SFC is linked by another language as LAD , FBD , IL ??

i want examples to imagine the work of SFC as i worked and show the four other language : LAD, FBD, IL , ST except SFC

can you gelp me ??

thanks again LD

Last edited:
Note that your first post asked about Step 5 and Step 7 - why did you post the topic - a general enquiry or are you about to embark on a siemens project ?

Yes , i asked for step 5 & 7 but when jvdcande told about SFC i said about SFC to learn it .

i am too familier with PLC specially LAD & FBD from ALLEN -BRADLEY , MOELLER , MITSUBISHI, SCHNIDER and i have a good idea for IL & ST but i did not have any idea for SFC ( as how this language linked by anther language ) and also i did not have any idea for graph 5 and graph 7 , so i want to learn the basics of these three languages ( SFC , GRAPH 5 , GRAPH 7) and show some examples to understand these three languages well ??

thanks

Hello magdyfayad;

Well, you've already got links to S5 Graph (for Siemes S5) and Graph7 (for Siemens S7). Now here is a manual for SFC (also ST) on Rockwell CPUs:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/1756-pm003_-en-e.pdf#xml=http://127.0.0.1/texis/search/pdfhi.txt?query=sfc&pr=literature.rockwellautomation.com&prox=page&rorder=500&rprox=750&rdfreq=0&rwfreq=0&rlead=250&rdepth=0&sufs=1&order=r&cq=&id=46b82ecf1
Now, if you want more details on the SFC programming standard, have a look at www.plcopen.org, and look at IEC61131-3.
Good reading.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier