RSLinx Gateway Ethernet/IP

Hello everyone,

Hardware:
  • One server running RSLinx Classic Gateway
  • Lots of PCs running RSlinx Classic Professional/Lite
  • Lots of AB devices connected to the network over ethernet
I was wondering whether it would be possible to create an Ethernet/IP driver on the Gateway server, then configure all the PCs so that they use the driver on the gateway.

The current situation requires that I set up several standard Ethernet drivers on the Gateway server, manually input all the IP addresses of the devices, set up one install of RSLinx Professional/Lite to use the drivers on the Gateway; manually distribute the configuration to the PCs which require it.

The Ethernet/IP driver would be an advantage as I wouldn't have to manually input any IP addresses then as the gateway can see all the connected devices automatically.

Many thanks for any help you can offer. I can provide more details about anything if it will help.

Thanks,
Jonathan

That's more or less exactly what the gateway edition was designed to do in RsLinx.

Enable the Gateway Function if you haven't already and Setup your Client Access List to whitelist to just the client pcs you want to access the gateway.
On the client PCs, Add a 'Remote Device via Linx Gateway' and point it at the gateway pc and driver you setup.

Thanks for the reply.

That's what I thought the gateway edition was for too. I've already had everything set up as you suggest. Except for the client list. That is set to not check, which I assume will not make any difference, unless you have any other experience.

What I'm seeing is that only standard Ethernet drivers work through the gateway, but the Ethernet/IP driver (which finds everything automatically) doesn't.

"What I'm seeing is that only standard Ethernet drivers work through the gateway, but the Ethernet/IP driver (which finds everything automatically) doesn't.[/quote]"

It is a bothersome nuisance we've all experienced...RSLinx Ethernet/IP drivers can't "hop" on different subnets, "gateway-ed" or not...I believe THEY're still working to solve the issue...

Ahh I see, it's a Rockwell problem is it. I assumed it was me doing it wrong. I'll just have to do it the long way then.

Thanks for the swift responses chaps.