Transferring tag values from one RSLogix5000 file to another.

radfahrer

Lifetime Supporting Member
Does anyone know a way to export/transfer tag values from one Logix5000 file to another? The situation I have is I've got a program running on an OEM skid which I do not have the original source file for, it has an array of tags (~600 values) used to store recipe values. We found a bug in the code, so we called the supplier, and they have sent us an updated version of the code, but it was updated from their original source code, so their values in the recipe registers do not match ours. Is there any way for me to transfer the tag values from my running PLC into their source file prior to downloading it to the PLC?

I tried the Export to .CSV function, but that appears to just export the tag's configuration info (name, type, description) not its value at the time of export.

Thanks,

Greg Krueger

There is a way to transfer tags to keep the values. You have to have both programs open and do a drag and drop. With the source file, high light the tags that you want to transfer to the new file. Drag the tags while holding the mouse button and drop them in the last slot of the Edit Tags tab (where you can create new tags.) The major problem with this method is that the tagnames in the new file cannot exist, otherwise it will change the tag name.

There's a utility called "tag upload download tool" that is on the RSLogix 5000 CD in the tools folder. Install that and it should do what you want.