Topserver/ Intouch floating point value problem

pasimanninen

I tryed to move 32-bit floating point number to intouch via topserver. But value seems wrong in intous value display.

Intouch show integer value correctly but floating point value is wrong if i compare value PLC vs Intouch.

Best regards

Pasi Petteri Manninen

Hello pasimanninen;
At first glance, it would seem you are facing a big-endian, little endian problem. The name refers to byte ordering in different microprocessors. It mainly causes problems with the display and manipulation of floating-point values.
I know I face this problem when I know the orignial value is 3,20 (for example) and my HMI is showing -1,2783 e-37 (also an example).
Here is a posting on Wickipedia that can explain the endian problem better:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_endian

If this is the source of your problem, hat you have to do is swap the bytes of the value that Topserver sends (in the PLC) before InTouch tries to output the value.
You will have to try different combinations of swapping before you get an adequate value if this is the problem.
Say that the combination ABCD represents the 4 bytes of a 32-bit register, as sent by TopServer (the original value).
Your PLC might need to read:
BADC(byte-swapping),
CDAB (word-swaping), or
DCBA (Byte and word swapping)
to interpret the original bytes as a floating-point value. You will have to try them one at a time to find out which one applies to your situation.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Can you please explain a bit , i mean what were you expecting and what you were getting.

Value in PLC=??, value in server=??, and value in InTouch=??

Deep_arvind said:
...what were you expecting and what you were getting.

Knowing this will help us in determining what order your bytes are in and what order they need to be in so we can sort out which endian to use. Also, if you can furnish the Hexadeciaml values that will be a big help.

Last edited:
You need to give "###.###" for seeing those decimal points(and declare the tag as real), also if you want to display the floating values in scientific notation then there's a different procedure see InTouch help for this.if you cant get that tell me i will check that up.
Also in the min/max value(in InTouch) you should give the min or max expected value in the PLC so that they can be correctly displayed in InTouch runtime.