You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old July 25th, 2007, 02:19 AM   #1
PLC_talk
India

SLC 500 PID problem

Hello ALL,
I am facing a problem while executing the PID instruction. As soon as the Processor is put in Run mode the CPU goes to fault indicating PID fault. If the instruction is deleted then the rest of the program works fine.
I have set the parameters as follows -
Kc-0.5, Ti- 0.1, Td- 0.0 , Loop update - 0.2 , Mode- Sp-PV, Control - Auto, Time mode - STI, SP MAx- 16383, SP min 0, CV Max - 100, CV MIn -0
In the processor status-STI tab S30= 20, S31 = 7, s:2/1 = 1

Is the S31 related to the Program file where the PID instruction is placed? Mine is in File 7.
In Run mode my Loop update time gets reset to 0.

I am not able to find the exact cause of this, so would appreciate any pointers in right direction.

Thanks,
Old July 25th, 2007, 04:20 AM   #2
Myles
Scotland

Change the timed mode to TIMED rather than STI. I had this problem before and that sorted it.
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #3
Ron Beaufort
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Greetings PLC talk ...

Quote:

based on this statement, I’d bet (more than pocket change) that you have a “memory overlap” situation ... specifically, something else beside your PID might also be using part of the PID’s 23-word memory block ... that “something else” could be another ladder logic instruction - or it might be an HMI/SCADA station that’s writing into that memory area ...

in the example above, the 23 words starting at N10:0 are dedicated to the PID ... so N10:0 through (and including) N10:22 should not be “written into” except very carefully to change the setpoint, etc. ...

2-B ?
Best regards, ----+----] [----+------------( )----
Ron | |
PLC Training Boot Camp - Retired | 2-B |
+----]/[----+

I once was lost, but now am found, was blind, but now I see.

Old July 26th, 2007, 12:28 AM   #4
PLC_talk
India

Thanks Ron / Myles,
I will reassign some other N file & test it. BTW the error I am getting is " An invalid value is being used for the PID instruction parameter" . Also in the RUN mode the MODE gets set to TIMED & loop update to 0.

Regards,
Old July 26th, 2007, 09:53 AM   #5
Mickey
United States

Post your code (.RSS file)zip it then post it. If you can.

If you want happiness for an hour-take a nap. If you want happiness for a day-go fishing. If you want happiness for a month-getmarried. If you want happiness for a year-inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime-help someone else.
----- Chinese Proverb
Old July 26th, 2007, 10:08 AM   #6
mgvol
United States

What is the value used for the PV scaled to? The PV must be scaled to a value between 0 and 16383; anything above/below this will cause that type of fault. If it is scaled to that value, see if there is any logic in place to prevent under/over-ranging the PV address. Even if scaled properly (0-16383), if the device providing the PV value (transmitter, etc.) fails, you could get a high or low out of range value.
Old July 29th, 2007, 11:53 PM   #7
PLC_talk
India

Hello,
Thanks for all the inputs.I was able to solve the problem by setting the loop scan to 1.2.
Old July 30th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #8
Ron Beaufort
United States

Greetings PLC_talk ...

we’re glad that you’ve found a solution - and if you’re happy, then we’re happy ...

but ...

there has to be more to it than just setting your “loop scan” (Loop Update?) to 1.2 ... in your first post you mentioned that you were setting the Loop Update to 0.2 ... and then you said:

Quote:

so the question remains: if the original setting of 0.2 was being reset to 0, then why is the new 1.2 setting not being reset to 0 also? ...

but if it’s working and you’re satisfied, then I suppose that’s a happy ending ... still, I’ve got a hunch that you did a little bit more to get this system working than simply changing the Loop Update setting from 0.2 to 1.2 ...

anyway ... good luck with the rest of your project ...

2-B ?
Best regards, ----+----] [----+------------( )----
Ron | |
PLC Training Boot Camp - Retired | 2-B |
+----]/[----+

I once was lost, but now am found, was blind, but now I see.

Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum