Codesys variable incrementer

lesmar96

Lifetime Supporting Member
SoMachine v.4.3.

I have an interesting question, hoping someone here as some advice.

My customer has a Lexium 32 servo drive. We are reading the absolute position of the motor encoder into a variable in codesys, using the MC_ReadActualPosition_LXM function block.

All that aside, the customer is asking for another variable that works independently from the current_absolute_position. For example, he wants to be able to zero this 2nd variable at any given place and get a readout position readout +/- of the place he zeroed it. This variable is okay to zero when we HOME, but we must be able to zero it whenever we want without homing the servo.

I was thinking of implementing some logic that would increment/decrement the 2nd value when the current_absolute_position goes up or down, but I wasn't sure that was the best way.

Any thoughts on the best way to do this?

I would do it this way:

current_absolute_position = the real position reported from MC_ReadActualPosition_LXM.

relative_zero_position = whatever current_absolute_position was when the "zero button" is hit

relative_absolute_position = current_absolute_position - relative_zero_position

In ST:
IF zeroButtonOneShot.Q THEN
relative_zero_position := current_absolute_position;
END_IF

relative_absolute_position := current_absolute_position - relative_zero_position;

Last edited:
Clever. I knew some one would think of something better. I'm still learning! Thanks!

relative_absolute_position = current_absolute_position - relative_zero_position

Sweet; I have to wonder about the variable names though ...

relative_absolute_position? Isn't it simply the relative_position?

not that anything is really absolute in the first place...

just sayin'