Interesting question?

sirhiss2

Hi Guys,

I had a really weird question asked to me this morning. I know it's not about PLC's but I was wondering if any of you guys may have some knowledge of this. Anyways here is the email.

I want to find out what the voltage reading is across the two electrodes of a Cattle Prod (the kind used to control animals, static charge on contact type) or even a Bark Control Collar device which operates on the same principle, when applied to the animals skin. This of course is a low current, high voltage resultant application. The manufacturer of these items will not divulge this information citing that it is part of the device design confidential information. I have no idea just how high this reading might be but I know that regular volt meters will probably not have a high enough range to handle it. I figure that with all your lab experience you could tell me either how to actually measure the actual voltage on these electrodes......

I told you it was a weird question. I am in no way condoning this type of animal control. It's just a question that was posed to me.

Any thoughts? :unsure:

Try a High Voltage probe, they are for measuring the

cathode voltage on Cathode Ray Tubes as in Televisions

usually 20,000 volts or more

I suppose if they wanted to know bad enough and didn't want to buy a HV probe for only one measurement, the stepup transformer could be removed and an AC voltage applyed to the output windings. Then measure the voltage across the input windings and use that to figure the winding ratio of the transformer. If a voltage multiplier is in the output circuit, count the stages to get a multiplier for the transformer output.

Of course one would have to want to know this information pretty bad to go through all of this but it would give a pretty good guestimation.

Last edited:
Now that's a cool idea! I never thought of that. Some older meters like the simpson meters use to have a high voltage probe as well. I may see if I can get one. Thanks for the ideas.

sirhiss2 said:
Now that's a cool idea! I never thought of that. Some older meters like the simpson meters use to have a high voltage probe as well. I may see if I can get one. Thanks for the ideas.

You will need an O-scope to catch the signal. The meter will just bounce, and not provide anything accurate. I'm not sure if a meter with a catch could react fast enough.