RSLINX lite unrecognized device

MGuenette

Hi,

I have RSLINX lite on one computer here. Everything is working except 2 PLCs. Rslinx says "unrecognized device. It's strange because i can see the others plcs using the same type of connection (1756-ENBT/A). I copied and pasted the EDS file from another computer using RSLinx Classic and it does not work.

Any suggestion?
Thanks

Martin.

You do have to use the EDS Hardware Installation Tool (Start... RSLinx -> Tools) to register the EDS files with Windows. RSLinx will automatically rename the EDS files, if necessary, and place them into the \RSCOMMON\EDS directory.

Important: Do NOT run the EDS Hardware Installation Tool on EDS files that are already in the \RSCOMMON\EDS directory !! It will mess up the Windows Registry entries. If you're copying and pasting the files from another computer (or downloading them from the Internet), place them in a temporary directory and then run the EDS Hardware Installation Tool.

A neat feature I recently noticed; 1756-ENBT version 4 firmware and RSLinx 2.51 allow you to right-click on the unrecognized -ENBT and upload the EDS file (in .GZ zip format) directly from the module and automatically register it. No Internet access or copy-paste-run-the-utility required.

Thanks for your help guys,

I think that it's the way to do it, but once I "upload" the EDS file downloaded on internet, i'm not able to clic on RSWho. It says to me "Failed to create empty document". But I already restored a backpup...

Thanks
Martin.

Okay, you've got more than one problem here. The "failed to create empty document" error message can be part of one or more RSLinx and registry problems.

I recommend taking this up with Rockwell Automation Technical Support directly.

OK

i fixed the problem. I found an Hotfix on the web. The technote # is A40145228. After that i used the EDS wizard managment to upload the EDS file properly

thank!

Excellent ! I'm glad you hear you got this working correctly, and I appreciate you posting your success and the method you used to get there.

The current Answer ID number for that Technote is AID# 24388.

I presume that because you cited that particular technote, you're using version 2.41 of RSLinx and meet the other criteria of that issue. I just didn't want to put you through the slow and painful Q&A of "what version, what OS, what error message...." on the Forum.

Again, thanks for the followup !