Is entry of Serial Number during RSLogix installation a legal requirement?

sanger

I am working with a company that wants to package all of their Rockwell software for automated deployment through the IT infrastructure. This process requires that standard installation packages be produced for each software product. The hitch in the case of the Rockwell software is that Rockwell products require that the serial number for the specific license be entered during the installation. This would require that a separate installation package be created for each user.

Has anyone every heard of Rockwell giving an exemption to this requirement and permitting entry of say the Product Prefix plus 000000? With the Activation Management process controlling the number of copies in use the entry of the serial number does little more than make it easier for the end-user to look up the number when calling technical support.

You can enter a generic code without "breaking a law". Virtually all installs I have done use "1234567890".

Lately, RA uses the serial number to turn on/off features. For example RSLogix 500 using that serial number gives me the standard edition, but when I enter my actual serial number it becomes the Professional edition.

OG

Rockwell serial number

Hello. I need to install RSLogix 5000 version 16 for an old PLC and I need to activate later. I just need the 7 day grace period. I was told that entering 1234567890 would work, but it just loads the service edition.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

The serial number and FactoryTalk activation are two different things.

If you have a valid FactoryTalk activation, the serial number doesn't really matter. You get full features.

If you do not have a valid FactoryTalk Activation (i.e. Grace mode), then the serial number matters. The correct "product code" portion of the serial number will activate the feature set for that product (Professional, Standard, etc.). An incorrect "product code" portion of the serial number will result in service edition.