Using Studio5000 Emulate to Sim program to Ifix

matthew1

Hello!

Currently getting ready to vet a rather large studio5000 program change with Ifix addition and the thought occurred to me that it may be possible to simulate the Control Logix program to Ifix.

I prefer this over in the field we something creeps up out of the deep.

Googled the interwebs and didn't find anything. (Its probably there I just didn't find it.)-- including RA knowledge base

Thought I would ask before spinning my wheels.

I have support contracts for both companies, however, with the current state of affairs, I'm not wanting to use that unless necessary.

Either using a virtual on the Fix host or emulate 5000 on the Ifix host box or using a separate box (probably best less to Software to install and license etc) work for me.

IFIX 5.8
Studio5000 V28
Studio5000 Emulate V28

Thank you!

RSLogix5000, and I assume Studio5000 simulator (emulator) had undocumented "issues". The product used to be called Emulate5000

It was to do with parameter passing into subroutines being handled in the reverse order than a real controller would do it.

I won't go into detail, but it completely derailed any attempt to use the emulator with our company standards.

For that reason, I would never trust an "emulator" program again.

Much better to test your program with the real processor whenever you can.

I wasn't aware that anyone else had ....

You said emulator in absolute and I took it as emulator in other platforms rather than for Rockwell.

Yeah, there's no other emulator for Rockwell, but having used PLCSim with Siemens I have no problem using one as long as the quality is the same or better.

As my norm late reply back to this.

You'll have to use the iFix OPC Client Driver and RS Linx OPC Server.

Thank you for that tidbit. Saved me from having to spend to much time worrying with it. May build VM for this in future just no time now.

RSLogix5000, and I assume Studio5000 simulator (emulator) had undocumented "issues". The product used to be called Emulate5000

It was to do with parameter passing into subroutines being handled in the reverse order than a real controller would do it.

I won't go into detail, but it completely derailed any attempt to use the emulator with our company standards.

For that reason, I would never trust an "emulator" program again.

Much better to test your program with the real processor whenever you can.

Daba, agreed with a large change to the process or installation. These changes were adding 6 AOIs I wrote to talk with 3rd party devices connected to control logics. Ifix isn’t really my jam and wanted to 100 percent know the graphics would work to display some of the data. If there was a hiccup I’d have a couple hours and then a 3-4 month wait.

Ended up installing a IPC in the panel with separate nic’s. One on private side to connect with clx other to public side for dameware. It worked pretty good.

Also to add to the Emulator problems you stated above. At one time I would use emulate for small or AOI code design. After a lot a wasted time figuring out what it wouldn’t do I now have hardware on my desk.

Can’t edit st online, AOI prescan and post scan don’t work. That’s all my issues.

You said emulator in absolute and I took it as emulator in other platforms rather than for Rockwell.

Yeah, there's no other emulator for Rockwell, but having used PLCSim with Siemens I have no problem using one as long as the quality is the same or better.

PLCSIM is a pretty powerful tool for sure. Haven’t used it very much but when I have it’s impressive.