Difference between RSLogix 500 and RSLogix5000

njvr

Hi all,
Just want to know the difference between RSLogix 500 and RSLogix5000. Share your ideas please.
Thanks

It would be easier to tell you what they have in common. They are very different animals. There are many differences and some similarities.

RSLogix500: Ladder logic programming software for the SLC-500 and Micrologix family of PLCs

RSLogix5000: Programming software for the newer Logix family of PLCs. Depending on the version it may include ladder logic, function block diagrams, and structured text languages.

Do you have any specific concerns?

What is the purpose of your question?

Paul

Thanks OkiePC.
One of my friend asked to learn Alan Bradley plc program. I am good in Siemens STEP 7 programming skills (STL and Ladder logics). When I am looking googling AB softwares, i noticed RSLogix 5, 500, and 5000.

Any major difference between Siemens and AB PLC programming styles.

Thanks in advance

To really answer your question, you need to tell us WHICH AB PLC. If you're comfortable with S7, you'll be most comfortable with the ControlLogix, which uses RSLogix 5000.

Thanks Ozee,
At this point of time, I don't know what AB plc.
Also I noticed comparatively more jobs for AB PLCs (almost no jobs for S7 in my area). This is also one of reason to learn AB plc.

Thanks again :)

500 is really ladder only and uses register based memory addressing.

5000 has ladder plus STL etc. and uses tag based memory addressing.

I suppos 5000 is closer to Siemens, but they are very different in approach and operator interface. In 5000 ladder is the strongest language, in Siemens ladder is the weakest.

hey njvr - ya your in canada as am i - north america is pretty much AB's sandbox they own 75-80% of the market Omron and seimens probably own 5-7% each and then everyone else fights for the scraps

I've been a plc programmer for almost 5 years now and I've worked on 1 seimens based project. 2 omron based - everything else was AB

rslogix is definitly more powerfull and flexable - then 500 - but then again its alot newer to - and its designed for a completely different family of plcs

frankly - unless you work someplace that ONLY does massive complex jobs - 75% of the work you do in AB probably falls in the Rslogix 500 range of products from the micros up though the slc family

frankly - unless you work someplace that ONLY does massive complex jobs - 75% of the work you do in AB probably falls in the Rslogix 500 range of products from the micros up though the slc family

That is true, but in general the CompactLogix PLC costs less money than the SLC500 PLC. If there isn't already a large installed base of SLCs then Logix5K and CompactLogix or ControlLogix is still the way to go.

Aside from supporting our existing SLCs, we don't do anything new in SLCs. We do use the Micrologix 1100 and 1400 for the occasional brick job, but there is now a version of Logix500 which does only the ML product line for people who do only small brick stuff. But now even the CompactLogix line has bricks.

Thank you guys for yout inputs, I am just started looking into RSLogix500... My previous experience was programmed 4 projects in Step7 for Siemens CPU317 PLCs.

i use rslogix 500 & rslogix emulator 500 for practicing my programming in offline.both the software are free.

does rslogix 5000 also have emulator for offline practice?

It would be easier to tell you what they have in common. They are very different animals. There are many differences and some similarities.

RSLogix500: Ladder logic programming software for the SLC-500 and Micrologix family of PLCs

RSLogix5000: Programming software for the newer Logix family of PLCs. Depending on the version it may include ladder logic, function block diagrams, and structured text languages.

Do you have any specific concerns?

What is the purpose of your question?

Paul

Please create a new thread for new questions; this one is almost seven years old and people have to read carefully to the end to find your new question.

Yes, there is an RSEmulate 5000 program.

It works a little differently than RSEmulate 500 because it does not emulate the I/O, making it a little less useful for testing unmodified whole control programs.

And it is not free of charge; all of the Studio 5000 products require a paid license.

njvr said:
Hi all,
Just want to know the difference between RSLogix 500 and RSLogix5000. Share your ideas please.
Thanks

Oh! Oh! I know!

It's "0"?

Another thing to remember...

RSEmulate 5000 is not available for use with RSLogix 5000/Studio 5000 Lite, Mini or Service Editions.

Regards,
George

Which one is easy between them.?

I have looked at Rslogix500 and it comes to me so understandable, easy to learn but Rs Logix5000 or studio5000 are so complex therefore I have started to learn from Rslogix500 and Rslogix5 after that I will look at controllogix.

What do you think?