Splitting Encoders

benaiahhenry

Lifetime Supporting Member
So, in the last several months I have had several jobs or quotes that require splitting the feedback from a motor to several devices, such as the drive as well as a separate DAQ unit. I'm wondering how other people handle this while keeping the signals clean and without generating a lot of noise.

I'm particularly interested in doing it on AB MPL series motors since I use a lot of them. Rockwell doesn't really seem to like to talk about splitting encoder signals, so I'm wondering what other people have done.

Has anyone used something like this? http://www.amscontrols.com/products/Accessories/encoder-signal-splitter-(6390)

AB/Rockwell had an "Encoder Buffer" available as 4 or 8 way output. Don't know if they're still in production.

4100-EF04 and 4100-EF08

You can use ready made splitters or for fewer outputs you can use a number of Optocouplers:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/optocouplers/5330019/

Thanks Bryan, I'll check into those.

AB/Rockwell had an "Encoder Buffer" available as 4 or 8 way output. Don't know if they're still in production.

4100-EF04 and 4100-EF08

I'd seen references to these before, but I can't find them on the AB website anymore. Up until this morning they also had a 845-BB encoder buffer up there, but now the page seems to have been taken down.

We solve this problem in a different way. Some of our encoder interfaces can be put in high impedance mode so an encoder with a differential output can drive or be the master for multiple motion controllers. The last motion controller on the encoder line must be left in the default state with the termination enabled.

What do these cost approximately? I use a custom built splitter that cost about $300. If this cost less it may be the way to go.