PLC status routine

Darkzadow

I have a page in my logix5000 code that is there for the sole purpose of letting me see every command, status, and sequence bits + a few position integers. Is this bad practice to have these kind of pages as tags can be readily viewed. I don't call the routine with JSR so I don't think it will effect scan time?

Thank you,
Darkzadow

I don't think it's a bad idea at all. It's nice information for troubleshooting.

Sometimes I put important information at the top of a routine with a [NOP] instruction at the end (so it doesn't scan).

The [NOP] at the top of a routine sounds great. Relevant information with relevant location. I think ill try moving some of the indicators there as well.

Sometimes I use a rung with a comment and [NOP] in different places in a routine to group logic together.
Speaking of comments, if you are doing this make sure to have a comment that says there is no JSR and that it is for status, so some future programmer doesn't have to figure out why you have code that serves no (functional) purpose.

Darkzadow
For me this is common practice for example I like to group all the digital IO from a drive in the first few rungs of a drive file so when I open the file I know if it's running/ready or faulted. Also I group together different variables of a process in a run kinda like a mini VAT in Step7. I do try to to comment these rungs..
I sometimes stick a AFI in at the begining of the rung so it is not evaluated (although AFI's left in the program seems to offend some.)