RS Logix 5000 Timer

Hi All,
I just want to measure how long the Pump was ON for. I have compact logix L43 PLC and RSlogix 5000 as programming tool. In RSlogix,It has TON, TOFF, Retentive Timer etc. The problem is they need a preset value. which I dont want. I have tag called Pump running, this can enable timer and simply timer must start and when Pump running tag goes '0' timer must stop and I want to log the accumalated value of timer and reset it.
How do I do it in RS logix.. Plz help !

Use move.. source t4:0.acc (timer accumulation) , destination n7:0 (integer), but the move instruction should only be true when the pump is running, so it will not move the zero value..

Copy 'Pump Running' another BOOL tag, let's say 'Pump Running On'. This is to prevent the slight possibility which exists in RSLogix 5000 of the value changing between the following two rungs.

In one rung one-shot the falling edge of the 'Pump Running On' signal. Use the one-shot to MOV the timer's accumulated value.

In the next rung use 'Pump Running On' to enable the timer. Use 2147483647 for the preset (highest positive DINT). Be sure to MOV the accumulated value to a DINT.

Thanks for the reply guys,,,
Basically I want to log the Accumulated value of timer into a Data logger running on Panel view.
Does the above program moves the value of accumalator into an integer Tag when Pump_running Tag goes zero or continuously moves the accumulator value to that integer Tag as long as that rung is true.
The reason for asking this is, The Data logger running on Panel view is event based i.e. It logs the value whenever there is a immediate change in Tag value

Because of the ONS the accumulated value of the timer will only be written to when the pump running signal goes from true to false.

Therefore as soon as the pump stops the value will be written, and the timer will be reset.

When the pump starts again the same accumulated value will remain in the Pump_Accumulated_Time tag until the pump stops and then the new value will be written.

Mark

sigh... /broken record mode on...

I wouldn't use a timer for this. Go ahead and use the GSV instruction to retrieve the real time clock time. Monitor the seconds DINT with a DTR instruction. Generate a one global one shot pulse every time the seconds value of the RTC changes.

Then simple logic:
XIC One_Second_Pulse XIC Device_Is_On ADD Device_Seconds_Timer 1 Device_Seconds_Counter

To reset the accumulated time, just reset the Device_Seconds_Counter.

rdrast,

Without sounding too demeaning to the OP, if timers are a struggle, then I think the more 'advanced' functions of RSLogix might be a bit of a headache.

I know there are far better ways to do this than using a timer, but nowhere did it state in the post that the time had to be accurate to the degree of using the real time clock.

Mark

Why don't you just make a clock ...

You take a ret timer on 60 seconds. Every 60 second you make a puls on a counter (minutes) every 60 minutes you make a puls on a counter for the hours etc etc ...

En than you can always read easely the time that you pump has done. You also can convert it all to seconds, minutes, hours by using a CPT, So it would be easier to set up your maintenance programme.

I have created my own Elapsed Run-Time AOI. It allows you to monitor the runtime on your OP interface, alarm after time is reached I use this for Preventive Maintenance, and a reset. I have looked at the AOI that widelto mentioned have not used it. As it seemed too much for what I need. If all works attached is my ERT AOI.