RSLinx Classic 2.59 on Remote Desktop

Epy

Lifetime Supporting Member
Greetings all,

From where I'm sitting, it looks like RSLinx Classic won't work through a Remote Desktop connection. Is this true? Is there anything I can do to get it to work?

Thanks for your help.

Running on Windows XP Pro 32-bit if that makes a difference.

Greetings all,

From where I'm sitting, it looks like RSLinx Classic won't work through a Remote Desktop connection. Is this true? Is there anything I can do to get it to work?

Thanks for your help.

Running on Windows XP Pro 32-bit if that makes a difference.

What exactly do you mean that it won't work through a Remote Desktop?

Which Remote Desktop are you using, the one built into Windows?

Normally the RSLinx Runs on the PC you are Remoting too, not the PC you are Remoting from.

Stu....

RSLinx Classic's interaction with the desktop is a common problem.

The specifics are complex; the version of RSLinx, the server OS, the client OS, and the remote desktop session credentials are all variables.

The RA Knowledgebase has a fairly complete document describing what works and what doesn't with regard to this software and Remote Desktop:

RA Knowledgebase Article ID 68346 (Access Level: Everyone)

@sthompson: Using Win 7 Pro SP1 64-bit to connect to Win XP Pro SP3 32-bit using Windows' default RDP client/server. When I start the program, nothing appears. RSLINX.EXE is running, but nothing shows. If I am connected in locally to the XP machine (keyboard, mouse, monitor), it works/appears as normal.

@jac: did not work, thanks though.

@Ken: according to that article, I shouldn't be having this problem, yet I am.

Fixed it. On my Win 7 machine, I can run it as a service and also have the application up. I brought up the control panel in the XP machine and disabled the service, then the application came right up. When it was running as a service, the icon was not showing properly in the corner like it does on my Win 7 machine.

Edit: for clarity, I meant to say that on the XP machine, when the service was running, I could not bring up RSLinx at all. I can have both running on my Win 7 machine.

Last edited: