how to use rslogix 500 addressing with factorytalk view m.e. ?

Hi,

I have used Rslogix 5000 with Factorytalk view and it's pretty simple when you try to use the tags because it searches for the .ACD file but now I'm trying to use rslogix 500 (.RSS) file with factorytalk and I have no clue how to use it as the rslogix has I/O addressing and not tag type and the fact that factorytalk searches for .ACD file and not .RSS file. How do I use the memory address and I/O address from RSLogix 500 in Factorytalk view M.E. (7.0)?

Last edited:
You have just worked it out for yourself, RS500 address all inputs/outputs via there input/output address as per there input/output card # addressees, i.e input I:3.2= input card/3 in rack/#2 input contact into card.
Output O:9.7= output card 9 in rack, #7 output contact out of card.
Input/Output cards can go in any configuration to your own desire.
Regards

@duckman
I think I was not clear in my question, let me rephrase it. In the communication setup I do not know how to add the rslogix 500 controller to the factorytalk, so I do not know how to use the addresses in the factorytalk that I have used in my rs500 logic file. So for an example if I am using an indicator how do I use the address that I have defined in my rslogix 500 file to indicate it? As I can not see any of my addresses.

If your monitoring IO, move the IO to an Integer file and read just that file. Tag item would be [TopicName]N10:0 for a word or [TopicName]N10:0/0 for a bit. [TopicName] would be setup in RSLinx Enterprise to point to your SLC.

If your development PC is in communication with the CPU running the RSLogix program then set the path in the communication setup. Begin a screen and add a control. In the 'connections' tab click the ellipsis (...) then right click your link and choose 'Refresh All'. The 'online' section should now have the raw addresses being used in the program ready for choosing.

If you want to use the symbols you have created in your project then make sure to have the RSS file on your PC. You will not enter the path to the RSS file in the 'Offline Tag File' area but make sure to set up a communications link

Instead - go to 'Tags'. Under 'Edit' choose 'Other Databases'. In 'RSLinx Shortcut' enter the link name you established above. Then 'Browse' to the RSS file and hit Enter.

If you choose 'Addresses and Symbols' it will show all used addresses in the project. If you choose just 'Symbols' it will show just those addresses with symbols. Choose the items you want and press OK. Don't go nuts. Limit your selections to less than 100 items at a time (each press of OK).

Once done, create a screen and control as noted above and again choose 'Refresh All'. Your 'Symbols' should show up as tags.