You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old December 4th, 2017, 09:33 AM   #1
duesxmechanicus
United States

Running 480v transformers at 240v?

This is a little off-topic here, but I think most of you will enjoy the scenario, even if the PLC end of it is very secondary.

I'm re-fitting a resistance welder for an upcoming job, and it's outfitted with 480VAC 1 transformers; two 150kVA ones. The job I'm setting up requires two 65kVA transformers in 240VAC 1. I'm firing them sequentially with a PLC commanding a weld controller.

The difference, as far as I know, in the transformers is the number of windings. And 480VAC has twice the windings as 240VAC transformers of equal kVA.

So knowing that, I should "technically" be able to run the 480VAC 150kVA transformers off 240VAC and get 75kVA, meeting the requirements needed.

Right?

It is not feasible to step up the welder to 480 from 220 because of the kVA demand. The controller can run on 240 or 480, and the SCR's can fire on any voltage.

Anyways, I've been kicking the idea around in my head and thought I'd ask for other opinions.

Thanks in advance!
Old December 4th, 2017, 12:29 PM   #2
jrwb4gbm
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Depending on the particular make and model transformers, why not just send them to a transformer shop and re-configure them by splitting the 480 primary winding into two 240 windings wired in parallel? That way you would not lose KVA capacity.
Old December 4th, 2017, 04:02 PM   #3
shooter
Netherlands

yes, however the secondary voltage will also be half, so the solution will not work.
the losses will be higher, as the flux will only be half.
Paul Deelen
J. Wassenaerstraat 29
NL 5224 GG 's-Hertogenbosch
+31653300739
Old December 5th, 2017, 07:10 AM   #4
Gene Bond
United States

Power (Watts) = Voltage * Current.
Current = Voltage / Resistance
If Resistance is fixed,
and the Voltage is 1/2,
then the current is 1/2,