adding documentation to existing program

senen

hi guys,
i have an old program that did not have any docementation at all..like input description and so on.i uploaded the program then add
description.i copy the program to a floppy disk then add description.i went online and downloaded this file from my floppy disk with the description and for some reason the old program without description still shows. can you show me the proper way how i can download the program with the added description??.

thanks,
still a newbies

hi,
what i have is processsor bul.1764 micrologix 1500 lsp series c..is that the info u need??/i look at help about rs logix, all i can see is
rs logix 500...release 5.00.00..my rs linx v 2.30

thanks
senen

The comments and discriptions on the program are not loaded into the processor. Before you go online with the processor, open the current program in RSLogix and then go online, then you'll see the comments and discription while your viewing it online.

hi,
i think i did that..open the program then go online..and i can see all the comments and description what i added in my floppy disk...
so what it means..if i just go online without opening the program,i will not be able to see the comments and description and all i can see is the ladder diagram???if that is the case i did not messsed up
the existing program??/

thanks,
newbies

You can go on line with out opening the program, It will look in your computer(project file or wherever you have rslogix setup to save your project ie: mydocuments/plc) and try to find a match to the processor and processor name.

hi,
without any save file in my pc...what i did i went to the machine
go online then upload the program of the machine.the program itself doesn't have any comments or description at all.then i save it to my pc...project file...from the project file i copy the program to a floppy disk then addd those comments and description..so actually the file i have in my project file will not have any comments at all.if i
add those comments or description to the project file...is there a way i can download that program back with comments to micrologix 1500 so that whenever i go online again for troubleshooting purposes those comments or description will appear with out opening the program from my pc???

thanks again
senen

Unless the 1500 is different then the SLC500 or 1200 the comments do not reside in the processor. If you save the project with the comments from your floppy the your project file, whenever you go online to the processor your comments should show when you go online.

Check your set up: go to tools>options on system preference page check project files search path is set to your project file ie: C:\PROGRAM FILES\ROCKWELL SOFTWARE\RSLOGIX 500 ENGLISH\PROJECT
I usually have program libraries at the same location.

Hope this helps..

hi guys,
thanks a lot for sharing your expertise...now i'm getting some basic understanding what is really involved in plcs.

thanks again
senen

There is only one processor that I know of that will store the descriptors internally. Wanna guess which one?

Just to add to Martin's comments...

You must have a processors program with comments/descriptions in any computer which is used to go online to that processor. If there is more than one laptop, for instance, used to go online, each of the laptops must have the program loaded onboard in order to see the comments/descriptors. This can be accomplished by copying the .RSS file for the processor to each laptop.